Taking suggestions... I want to upgrade my front suspension...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jkhall, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I have a 1971 Camaro, the front sheet metal is all off. ( pic attached). I have ordered an LQ4 with tranny and have an OER RS front end... The power plant will be here in 2 1/2 weeks.

before I put the engine in I want to do some suspension upgrades to the front end. I already have the subframe connector welded in from when I had the previous engine in it.

for $1000 or less, what would your shopping list be? and why?

Attached Files:

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Damn , not sure where to start, however questions first, then ideas later.

What do you want to do with the car, go fast in a strait line? Or go auto crossing ?

You have a shell of a car, what is your overall plan? What are you looking to have , fit and finish, paint and chrome, wise, park at the back of the lot or beside the regular cars?

once you answer these questions , then everyone can help you better, and I am also interested in seeing the answers !!

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    If it's a street driven car, if I only had $1000 to spend on front suspension, then my wish list would be G-braces and tubular upper control arms (yielding 5-7 deg neg caster with the factory lowers). Those two things easily gave me the biggest bang for the buck.

If you can, get a quick ratio steering box as well. Some of the more affordable options seem to be the reman third gen IROC boxes...

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
  5. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

it will go fast in a straight line but I want excellent handling for driving on the road..

Plan is this will be my evening and weekend car. Its scheduled to be in the paint booth the last week of this month. I want to get the engine mocked up and prepped. not going all out on the paint job, as it will be driven regularly. GunMetal grey with dirty bronze bumpers, trim, rims. I will park away from people if possible, to cry. after all I am going to drive it.

Tranny 4L65e with corvette servo 2500-2800 stall
    LQ4 with Brian Tooley racing Stage 3 cam
    fast lsx-r intake w/102mm TB
    stayed with factory heads, but having them ported.

I have a short amount of time before its painted and the engine is put back in and I would like to do this work while I have all the open space.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What tires and brakes are you going to use, and is that part of the $1000 budget?

7. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

yeah, I am down 15k in the last 16 weeks. So many parts sitting on the side and engine/tranny being delivered soon. my wife has given me a budget of 3k a month (not counting the paint) until may to finish the car (I am selling stock options each month for this car). at that time, I will have to say the words to her that no man ever wants to tell his wife. "You're Right".. as I told her I will be done by hook or crook by the end of may and she said, "yeah, right".

I will do more suspension upgrades in March or April, but what will be the most beneficial to get done with the engine out?

8. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    No, tires and breaks are not part of this 1k budget. the 1k is spare money I have this month to toss at the car. and I want to seize the opportunity to do some work while the engine is out and I have all the room in the world.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

$1000 isn't really a lot to work with. how are the body bushings? Did you already install sub frame connectors? what springs and shocks are in it now? what size sway bars are in it?

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    If the factory suspension and bushings are in good shape (or are being replaced as not part of this $1k), and you have good shocks, I'd still advocate going with tubular UCA's. You can get them for as inexpensively as $350 (I actually got mine used on ebay for $250). I'd then get a set of the Chris Alston Y-braces for $250.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Alston-Race-Cars/Alston-Firewall-Y-Brace/2390019/10002/-1

The Y-braces and your subframe connectors will stiffen the chassis up very nicely (but use polyurethane subframe bushings).

The UCA's will then make the front end feel far more precise.