Taking off teflon tape

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by bourbon_scotch, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
  2. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    LOL! You're a brave and creative soul there my friend! :D

As for the OP's original question, I used to remove a ton of teflon tape back when I was a heavy equipment mechanic. Always used a steel "toothbrush". It was quick, effective, and you didn't have to worry about it grabbing a fitting and shooting it across the shop at 3000 fps. :roadkill: Also it didn't need an extension cord and could easily be taken underneath a DC9.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Not sure any regular tape would actually stick to teflon tape, Teflon you know. Brush and air pressure usually gets it off here.

4. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a bandaid that's confusing me. Can anyone help?
    Or, have you tried rubbing something/anything on the Teflon tape? Life isn't rocket science. You can ask (often refereed to as googling) the internet. Rather than waiting for 12 inane nonsensical replies, you can search, netting 14 billion answers sorted by some magic that means they'll be useful as sorted.

I guess its better to ask here and wait for conflicting BS responses, the ensuing arguments, all leading to no solution. It doesn't matter since the OP never does the troubleshooting steps or easy solutions.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    My reply was good. you^ musta left toilet seat up . It's a bs question ,no need for more bs....

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Probably not a bad idea to close this thread before it gets any worse.

7. thrasher

thrasher Veteran Member

May 27, 2006
    I work in steps.

1. On a bolt or in a bolt hole compressed air first.

2. On a bolt finish with a wire brush.
    Or use a FINE wire wheel on a low speed bench grinder. Fine wire wheel because even with gentile use anything more aggressive will remove small amounts of metal making the bolt weaker.

2. In a bolt hole I finish with a thread CHASER.
    The amount of people who don't know about thread chasers still amazes me. They are less aggressive than a thread tap and are far less likely to cross thread. They are meant to clean out threads and repair "slightly" damaged threads. They are handy things to have around.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016