Taiwan...Is nothing sacred?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 70Znut, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Buying used and having “your guy” build something supports the side hustle/gig economy, but you can’t build an entire middle class from that.
    In many ways, it’s better now than it was back then.
    Realistically, the qualily of most goods was lower back in the day- cars are a good example. Fit, finish, engineering, all better now (in total, everyone knows someone that has an anecdote, of course)... if it weren’t, the average age of the US vehicle fleet wouldn’t be going up. The complexity of products is an order of magnitude higher now, and in many cases they still perform.

I’ve been in manufacturing for 21 years now, and I don’t think there are any quick fixes to this.

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Cars are a perfect example of MFCI. (Manufacturing For Continuous Improvement) I don't care for all the "Nanny" systems like auto braking, blind spot monitors, tire pressure monitors and the like. However, the worst car today sold in the U.S. is still better than the best one built 20 years ago.

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    the buy local and rebuild...... yeah there are exactly 3 guy is the damn country that actually know how to rebuild it...correctly

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Really, you found 3 ? the kids these days working on cars , are no better then the kids working at Micky d's , they look at a monitor and tell you what is wrong with your car, when I grew up, the mechanic in the area, could tell you from the sound, or you, telling him what you did before it happened, before it went wrong, HAA HA . That said, I will buy the best part, for the best price, and I look for true assessments , from people that are doing, or trying the same thing, and I hope that there judgement is not clouded by sentiment . That is why I am on this site.
    Just my 2+ cents

5. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

I was taught to diagnose a problem with my ear, a vacuum gauge and a volt/ohm meter. OBD2 helps a bit but I know it just points me in the direction. For instance, my OBD reader sent me to bank 1 on my Mercury. I can tell by listening that the one catalytic converter is bad. It took my 10 minutes to find the problem. 3 shops told me there was a diagnostic fee ranging from $50 to $90. The only one that didn't charge a fee told me $850 to replace the pipe.I bought a new down pipe with converters off Fleabay for $120. Two new O2 sensors (why put the old ones back) for $100 and when I get time and the weather breaks, I expect it to take an hour at most to remove 4 bolts and two connectors and install the assembly.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    The computers know what isn't operating properly in today's car. We rely on the OBDII to tell us what's wrong...Its the same way in Aviation. Our young kids at work can't troubleshoot like they use too...Heck nobody even knows how to look at a wiring diagram and shoot wires with a meter anymore.

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Something to consider... if “kids these days” have no ability/know-how/work ethic, we probably ought to take a long hard look in the mirror, as “we” are the teachers, no?

Knuckle Dragger and twozs like this.
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^^Times have changed to dependability on computers and I-phones. I tried to teach my daughter math not too long ago and you know what she said? "Dad why do I need to learn that? I can just use a calculator". "well what are you going to do when there isn't a calculator or a computer to google"..."Dad what are the odds of that?"

Heck it doesn't even seem kids want to learn to drive a car these days!!

Kids don't want to learn some things because they don't see value in it and thus not worth their time.

9. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    why not?

my JOB is parting out F bodies (mostly 4th gens these days) and recently a lot of classic motorcycles...and I do quite well for myself

I agree a guy might not be able to support himself JUST rebuilding posi units, but it's a start

10. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

My niece was like that growing up. Dad wasn't going for it. Between him and I, we drilling into her head that what she can't do will limit future earnings. If she wants to work flipping burgers, fine. She won't be able to buy nice things. What does she do? She's now an electrical engineer and used pencil and paper to do moth as she works around random magnetic fields that will scramble phones and calculators.

SRGN and Smokey15 like this.