Taiwan...Is nothing sacred?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 70Znut, Dec 29, 2017.

1. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    maybe a taiwanese chick put that one together :)

2. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I know you're trying to be funny, but whose fault is that? I actually believe it's the government's fault for being so limp wristed on trade. This country gives till it bleeds to death.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Typical moron response!!!!!!!!

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

How do you figure? This country thrived back in the early days when there was cheap labor here. With the demands of the “people” via unions, pay increases, benefits, laws to protect the workers made operating a business much more expensive. That’s not the governments fault, it’s collectively ours. It’s funny how it’s a big deal with our own people but nobody complains that an 8 year old is making Nike’s in Indonesia

5. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hobart, Indiana
    What all of you written can be summed up one way; history. When our country became an industrialized nation, children were doing 10 -12 hour shifts in factories to produce steel, materials, clothing, etc. In the 1800's a clothing factory caught fire. All the door were chained closed to prevent the women and girls from getting fresh air or leaving. 2/3 of the workers were burned to death. Nothing was done to improve conditions, the owner set up shop elsewhere and hired new workers and paid the same low wages. During the American Civil War, young men that weren't old enough to serve or get conscripted and women made ordnance for the armies in factories barely lit with candles and oil lamps giving them the light needed to pack GUNPOWDER! Can you say explosion? It took time, but workers got protected and than OSHA showed up to protect workers. I worked an assembly line once. I lasted 1-1/2 years. I don't know how anyone could and does today work the same job repeatedly for years. My hat is off to you. Yes with more demands by workers and unions wages were increased and better working conditions were made. Making changes to the workplace cost the companies money which also drove up prices. Can you blame anyone for wanting to work in a safe environment in a industrial settings. Even with all these OSHA rules and regulations, accidents still happen and people are killed or hurt seriously. I was loading engines into a 53' trailer at an assembly plant. The driver didn't set his parking brake. When I was backing out and the rear wheels touch the ramp, my front driven tires launched the tractor and trailer forward and my forklift fell between the loading ramp and trailer which then moved towards me since the loading area concrete was angled. I'm glad I had my seat belt on! OSHA regulations were followed by the plant but the driver almost killed me. Our country has evolved. Workers got higher wages but the cost of everything went up so what good was a higher wage. I'm looking for a new 6" vise. Two stores that sell ones made in China want $69.99 and $74.99 respectfully. The one made in the U.S is $349.00. Being a disabled veteran I want to buy U.S. products becasue that's the country I protected. My set income prevents that. I'm going to wait until Spring and hit the yard sales. We can blame certain people, organizations, unions, companies of how much american products cost, including ones assembled with components made in the U.S. and overseas. At least they are assembled here. I don't place the blame on anyone. We evolved as an industrial country and our current economy was created by wanting goods at affordable or cheap prices. History repeats itself. I don't worry about my future as much as I do my children and grand children. My 1980 was made in the U.S. with metric fasteners in certain areas becasue our government wanted to use the metric system and we said hell no! But we still by 2 liter bottles of soda and use metric fasteners on our current vehicles. I don't have a solution becasue all the variables. Time will tell the future of China, Mexico, South Korea, and Taiwan. It's their future but it will impact us.

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I try to buy American when I can. It is a lot harder to find stuff made here as time goes on. So, I wind up fabricating my own stuff or having a friend fab it for me when possible. I buy American made tools, they cost a lot more but when I'm not missing work because a ratchet broke and I smashed my hand, it is worth it.

7. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2015
    aurora, co
    I've said it before and I will say it again, it's worth it to put in the work to find vintage parts, when they were built by American companies with higher quality. Surely you can find an old posi unit quite easily?

351maverick likes this.
  8. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    You can blame the government for not switching to the far superior metric system a long time ago.

9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

The cost of conversion, both in expense and aggravation is what has stopped that. Had we gone with metric before we got industrialized (it was around then) there wouldn't be resistance. As it is, metric is in use, just not exclusively. In England they are mostly metric but trips are often measured in miles. Very few fasteners on newer cars are SAE. Most are metric. I noticed that beginning in the 80's. Mechanical systems like the drivetrain, were SAE, but body parts were metric.

10. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    The one thing I really enjoyed when I built my 1923 roadster. I sourced, rebuilt, adapted any vintage / period correct part I could to build it. It is actually a pretty neat challenge, and there are groups of people really into this sort of thing - and, yes, they blog about it on their Taiwan computers.

SRGN likes this.