Tail lights / brake lights not always shutting off.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sandiego74, Oct 19, 2017.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    So here's a weird predicament.

The other day, I noticed that my rear brake lights were still on hours after I had moved my car. I hopped back in, depressed the brake pedal once, and they shut off. I messed around, depressed the pedal a dozen more times, and noticed the brake lights would "stick" and not shut off a few of the times. Tried looking up what could be causing this with no luck, and I honestly haven't had the time to try and mess with it myself, so I thought I'd check here first. I know that once the pedal is depressed, it releases a switch that turns the brake lights on. Could this switch be bad? I also read that some people have a brake pedal return spring. I'll check to see if I have one and replace it when I can.

Thank you ahead of time.

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    If the pedal fully returns, I'd replace the brake light switch. You may be able to adjust it to get by temporarily, but if it came out of adjustment now it's probably on its way out.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yep - brake light switch needs a replacement. It's mounted over the brake pedal and when the pedal returns it depresses the button on the switch.
    Will cost well under $20

4. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome! Thank you, guys. Can I just pick up a brake light switch at my local auto parts store? I'll call them in the morning.

5. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    yes but its best to have the part in hand to match up, few different styles and mountings...