T56 to bbc flywheel

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by turbobuick, Jan 27, 2019.

1. turbobuick

turbobuick Member

hey guys,
    I stumbled on this flywheel that I think may work for my LT1 T56/454 setup.
    Pre 86
    2 piece rear main seal
    153 tooth
    External balance.
    A lot cheaper than the McLeod 460-300 and doesn’t require seperate weight kit.
    What do you guys think? Did I stumble on a fit?
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...oth-Billet-Flywheel-Chevy-350-454,323448.html

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Ya that should work, surprised anyone made a 153 tooth one for a 454 but it your's is an LT1 T56 it should work.

3. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

It depends on the bellhousing / clutch assembly you'll use. If your using an aftermarket or stock 621 style bellhousing and adapter, the flywheel will work with a stock style clutch. If your using the LT1 style bellhousing and LT1/LT4 style clutch, that flywheel will NOT work.

John

4. turbobuick

turbobuick Member

Right I’m converting to a hydraulic throwout bearing. Not the lt1 pull style.

5. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Is your 454 drilled for the 153 tooth starter? That is key for "solving this retrofitting a T56 problem and finding a solution for less than a direct fit aftermarket flywheel" with a 153.

A push 10.5" clutch and Hyd. TO Brg can be done inside the LT1 T56 bellhousing, but the TO Brg. needs to be quite slim.

If you're deadset on doing that, find a shallower flywheel (than the one you linked,) get it balanced for a 454, and give yourself just a wee bit extra room for the TO brg.

There are a lot of ways of making the swap work. Fabbing, Paying, Or changing parts selection priorities need to happen to make it work.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Most 454's have the 3 bolt holes on the block. You just need to get the starter that has the bolt holes straight across instead of the offset mountings. Did that on my SB when I had to run a 153 wheel.