T5 or Super T10 or Muncie or Saginaw 4-speed?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 79supergasdriver, Apr 21, 2017.

1. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

That's a good gear to match up with a third gen V8 T5; I have run that combo a few times.

2. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Yep. After reading up on them, that's what I'm aiming for. Found a local guy selling a T5 bell housing for $70 but no tranny

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    If you are making much power then you need to look at a stronger transmission. The T5 was never offered with anything larger than a 305 because it is not able to handle the torque of anything more powerful. You might consider the LGT700. Jody's Transmissions can help you with information and pricing on that transmission.

4. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Ford put the T5 behind all kinds of powerplants, inculing some of their "SVT" and HO offerings, yes?

5. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    They were all 5.0 or smaller.

6. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    Some St10's have a cast iron case too, Look for one of those if you can

7. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    So having now spent a couple weeks reading up and shopping around, the late model "world class" 1.25"/26-spline input, iron case T5 is the best of the worst solutions for my application. Pros: affordable and relatively easy to find. Cons: Allegedly weak mechanical system, prone to failure behind moderate power in heavy cars.

So onto the T56, the improved six-speed production unit. Installed in millions of vehicles worldwide (obviously the CTS-V and Corvette versions wouldn't be very practical in my application). Fourth-gen F-bodies received two different gear ratio options. Pros: Significantly improved power handling capacity and durability with six speeds. Great aftermarket support. Cons: More scarce than an honest politician and apparently just as much in demand. Searched the hell out of the Internet and every junkyard pullout I found under a grand sold within hours of the ad posting.

8. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    I will probably get crucified for this but here goes.... Saginaw's are cheap and pretty easy to find. Granted not the strongest tranny but I have one behind 400Hp SB and it does just fine. No I don't pull hi RPM hole shots and slam er into 2nd. But I paid $100 for mine with a Hurst Comp shifter, handle and rods. Cleaned it out, put in fresh gear lube and that was 3 years ago. No issues with it. My goal was to just get the thing up and running until I could find the tranny I wanted. I'm sure when I re-sell it I will get my $100 back out of it, and if I don't not a huge loss and it got me rollin cheap.

9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    In my opinion you are going down a sad road ... I too went to the Super T10 (2.64) iron case with 3.73, this was behind my 530HP engine. ... then I rebuilt it with a 2.88 setup and dragged on it after 6 months I blew it ... rebuilted it with the 2.64 from the factory and drove on it hard and blew it again. Then went to rebuild it back to the 2.88 and was there no more good gears.

What I have found out is that all the gears, clusters and internals are CAST and no one is build nodular or forged for the ST10 ... you can get it all for the Muncie ... but not for the T10 ... Fast forward ... I had two choices Muncie or Tremec.

I found on Craigslist a TKO500 with an overdrive ... No bell housing changes, keep the manual clutch ... just shorten the drive shaft and I swapped out the cross member but in theory I could have used the old one it was just too high in the tunnel.

Now I have the same as a 4 speed maybe a little deeper gear ratio but overdrive.

T56 is a nightmare to fit but fun ... I personally don't think it is worth the effort ... I heard nightmares around the installs (Mustang and Camaro)
    T5 is a week tranny
    T5 WC (World Class) is stronger but flawed
    ST10 is only strong is you can find aftermarket forged parts
    Muncie's are best for power but just as expensive as the TKO without the overdrive.

10. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    The frustrating part of all this is the car's trans tunnel was already sectioned and replaced to accomodate a T56 and the guy I bought the car from is offering me his reman T56, bellhousing, clutch package, aftermarket crossmember and custom driveshaft for $2000. Damn good deal for everything but I just dont have that money and cant extend a line of credit for it either.