Switching column shift to console shift on my Z28

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by deszs, Sep 24, 2012.

1. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    I'm sorry you can't accept my story and the claims of the GM executive from the Norwood plant. You seem to be doing alot of mathematical calculating which seems to be nothing more than...even in your words..."guessing" to me. Then you throw another log into the fire by bring up Z28 clones!

2. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    In thread #21 I answered the same question from thread #16. The five original wheels w/ Polyglas tires have the original trim rings and center caps where the four others have reproduction rings and caps.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5672

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Deszs - I don't think any disrespect was intended but the fact is there are a lot of production numbers for various option combos we (as a like minded community) would love to know for sure. Many have guessed and estimated, but that's all it is...guessing with some rationalization tossed in. maybe accurate...maybe not. Certainly not perfect and subject to discussion...but sometimes it's all we have.

If at all possible, get in touch with the GM exec you met and ask him to write a note with his recollection...just having that statement with a name/position adds credibility...still likely open for disagreement unless official GM documents are provided as proof...but better than nothing and it takes any disbelief away from you and puts the credibility debate on the GM exec.

By the way...very very nice car and good luck with your sale.

4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I wasn't asking about rims, tires or trim rings.

When you said you'd posted elsewhere on the forum I never thought to look in the swap meet section...duh;)

At 33K I think you are nearing the top of the restored 71 Z market. I think if the car had not been repainted it would be easier to hit that mark (current trends in collecting being what they are). You repainted for your own reasons and that's cool but the exceptional value for a low mileage car like yours would be for own that is completely original.

5. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    33k. I like the 70-73 model look but I think to the masses it is not that sought after yet, specially at 33k even with low miles. Not a slam on your car at all. I think those spending that type of cash are ganna be in the market for the 1st gen models or go after Chevelles.

6. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    Thanks for the compliment. Thanks also for the advise about a note from the GM executive. I have his phone number and I'll call him tonight.

7. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    I agree that the car would be worth more with its factory paint, but the original owner decided somewhere along the line to paint it red. On top of that, the car sat outside from 1993 (when last plated) until 2006. As to the price, I had to start somewhere and it's open to reasonable offers.

8. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2007
    wyoming
    excellent and very cool car, as most everyone on here will tell you leave it alone for now. I dont think the column AT shifter hurts anything, the market is just weak right now + election year = uncertainty. people are holding on to their cash, were in a buyers market.
    the low miles factor is very cool but there are relatively low mile cars still available, I suspect a true survivor car with original paint and overall patina would bring the highe$t dollars. of course thats not reversable in this case.
    the market lately is great for buyers, low mile clean 2nd gen camaros just keep popping up. I just saw this '72 pop up on the radar, cars like this are basically the competition. they are selling in low to mid 20s, I would'nt be suprised if this car changes hands for 20k.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

9. T-FATTY

T-FATTY Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Mass
    I know this is an old thread but I saw a 1970 Z28 with column shift and a console? Was such a thing possible? I'm going to ask for a better pic of console to see what's where shifter would have been.

10. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Not from the factory....but who knows what happened once in private (and possibly creative) hands.