Switching column shift to console shift on my Z28

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by deszs, Sep 24, 2012.

1. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    I listed the car, description, and price(s) on this website in the 1970-73 section. I don't have the build sheet, but I do have the original title and sales contract among some of the documentation.

2. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    All I'm saying about the rarity of this car is what the GM executive told me. The thing to remember is that the quantity mentioned is for Z28's and not Camaros in general!

3. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    The undercoating was in the wheelwells, but I added more to the underside of the body.

4. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    Most likely it had the muffler mounted behind and above the differential, but in front of the gas tank. There are probably factory mounting tabs there to suspend the muffler from. I chose to use a Flowmaster 80 Series muffler..great sound!

5. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Does it hurt adding undercoating to a rare like these if it did not come with it sprayed everywhere?

6. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    It probably does to some people, especially if it is a show car and being judged. I restored the car as a driver and it was my personal preference to do so.

7. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    One more thing to consider is that the quantity mentioned pertains to Z28's that were built at the "Norwood" plant where the GM executive worked.

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    that thing is rare . nice car !

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota

No GM executive knows how many column shift Z28s were made any more than we know. Those numbers no longer exist, so none of us can know.

But, we do know that over 1/3 of the cars had no console, and there were 4,862 Z28s made, so we have good numbers to guess from there.
    My wild guess would be that 1/3 of the Z28s had no console, so about 1,600, and if we guess that 1/2 of them were automatics, I end up guessing about 800 column shift Z28s.

And, don't be surprised if there are more than 800 column shift Z28 clones in existence today.:mad:

10. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    you have a total of 12 posts...11 of them in this thread. The one other thread addresses some of the questions surrounding your car but no where do I see a price. What is your asking price? Knowing this would help us help you with the questions of why it is not selling and where lies the right audience .