Switching column shift to console shift on my Z28

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by deszs, Sep 24, 2012.

1. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    Great pictures. It looks very similar to my previous Z28 which also was a 1970...mine had the deluxe green/black interior. I met a retired GM executive that worked at the Norwood plant who still has his 1970 Z28 with the column shift automatic. He personally kept track of how many Z28's left there that way...only 9! I asked as to how many in 1971...he didn't keep track for 1971 but said it would probably be a similar quantity. He also had them put AC on his car! The guy who ordered my car said he did it because his girl wanted to sit right next to him which is more comfortable with a cushion on the tunnel than sitting on a hard and fragile console!

2. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    You have a really quality car and it would be a shame to change such an original cars shifting system. Personally, I wouldn't change it , but wait out the right buyer who will appreciate the car for what it is. Not a option I would want or would have bought to begin with, so I understand the average Camaro enthusiast being turned off. But somewhere there is a collector who will want that setup . I would leave it as is.
    EIther way , the buyers are going to beat you down , leave it and they won't be happy , change it and the purist won't be happy. I 'd guess in the long run , leaving it alone will bring the most money. If you need to sell it quick , the floor mounted unit would probally make it sell quicker , but for more money , maybe not.

3. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2010
    long island, new york
    dont mess with it!

4. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Mississippi
    I also agree with this statement!!!

Plus, if you actually DID change it, and someone on forum found out about it, we'd prolly all vote to have you committed :p

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Do not change it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    So I quess the big question is how much are you asking for the car??

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Column shifted automatics aren't that rare in the early Camaros. In 1971, of the 114,630 Camaros built, 72,656 had a console. All automatics without console had column shift. About 63% had consoles, so about 37% of the automatic cars can be expected to be column shift.
    That's over 1 out of 3.

Keep it the way Chevy built it. In the long run, the value should be better in original trim.

8. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I would not change it. That is not what is keeping that car from selling I would bet. It is a tuff economy right now. Hell price it out what it would cost to convert. When you get a buyer that seems serious but mentions he wish it were on the floor, if you want, to sell the thing that bad, tell him how much it would cost to convert and drop that off the price if you want to move it that bad, or have the parts avail as part of the deal if they want to convert them selves.
    In this day in age you almost have to give some "ADDED VALUE" thing to sell big ticket items. Make them feel like they are getting a deal. Just my .02

9. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Did that come undercoated?

10. Citrus70

Citrus70 Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2012
    SW Ohio
    did my 70 SS have the same muffle setup new from the fact?