Switching column shift to console shift on my Z28

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by deszs, Sep 24, 2012.

1. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    I have been trying to sell my 1971 RS/Z28 that has only 19,600 original miles for some time now. Due to the fact that it is column shift car, I have had no serious offers. I've been reluctant to switch it to a console car because of its low mileage, originality, and rarity (possibly 1 of 9 Z28's to leave the Norwood plant), but now I'm wanting to start another project. Other than the obvious console, horseshoe shifter, shifter cable, and the column shifter selector arm...what else needs to be done? Can the rotating sleeve on the column be swapped without changing the whole column? Does anyone have the part(s) to help me with the swap? I have an original console, but it is missing the rear section that has the courtesy lamp. Thanks.

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    i like a column shift car . i wouldn't think it would hurt the car that much . id say welcome but you've been here for awhile . got any links or picts of the car ?

3. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    If it is truly an 19,600 mile true Z/28 then I would say leave well enough alone. It is a tough market out there right now. It would seem that you are not getting the car out there to the right sort of buyers...a low mileage Z will always draw interest in the right crowd regardless of from where it shifts.:bowtie:

4. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
  5. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    That's what I thought, but where do I find that right crowd?

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    OMG is that the ULTRA RARE NK2 steering wheel in your car ( 621 total )?? in 71 ( only ) there was two different optional steering wheels . the NK2 and the NK4 ( the 4 spoke ) i believe your car has the NK2 , the first ive ever seen ! im not cracking wise . ive never seen it in a 71 camaro .

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    this is the only pict i have of an NK2 wheel .. [​IMG]

8. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
    agreed, do not mess with it

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Change it and it'll be worth less. Here's a 70 Z28 that was at the 2012 Autofest in Oshawa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  10. deszs

deszs Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Byron, GA
    That is exactly like my steering wheel. I've been told by many that it's the wrong one for my car, but that's the one it came with.