SWAY BAR BUSHINGS

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by wnmech, Feb 3, 2018.

1. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    My 71 Z28/RS has worn rear sway bar bushings and I want to replace all the bushings and bar links. I remember some older posts about the diameters of the sway bars. I measured my sway bar and it appears to be 11/16 thick is this the correct size and if so who sells the best total close to original bushings?

2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    I did find an ebay seller that had a replacement 11/16 sway bar kit for my size sway bar for $45 dollars. I dont know if that was too much but that was his last kit and it was my size.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    They are kind of hard to find. Only one source that I know of is reproducing them. 45 is about what I payed for mine a year ago on eBay

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Do a search on eBay, in your search specify 11/16 size. That's where I got mine. Most likely you will find polyurethane bushings but for a sway bar that's not a problem. Hope this helps.

5. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Thanks for the reply back. I was getting a knocking noise and was having trouble finding it. When I put the car back together I got lazy and figured the old ones would be okay

6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I just installed Energy Suspension poly bushings on my 3/4 rear bar. Made in USA and they seemed like good quality. Just be sure you get the right kit. Some bars use a goofy single bolt clamp (mine) and some use 2 bolts. This is the arm to bar I'm talking about. I ordered the wrong kit the first time.

I paid $36 for the correct kit on Amazon.

7. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Get WS6 bush for the front links. They are white poly, We found 80 at the Flint whse.
    Best way to measure the sway bar without a caliper is putting a wrench on it.
    The riv-nuts on the front sway bar usually let go when you go to remove the bolts too, PITA
    Ames used to sell poly bush's for your shocks too.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018