Suspension upgrade ideas

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Boyd Vanlandghen, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Boyd Vanlandghen

Boyd Vanlandghen New Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Hi all,

First post on this forum so thanks for taking the time to read this. My 73 is in dire need of a suspension upgrade. It is currently sitting on air-ride (about to blow) and stock leafs in the rear as well as stock shocks/springs/control arms up front. I have been researching different kits but there are so many its hard to decide on one. The car is a weekend driver but id like to potentially autocross at some point so im definitely looking to stiffen the car up a little. I would like to stay under the $2,000 mark if possible. Anyone have any good suggestions around brands and setup? Im not looking to keep stock ride height but i dont think that will be an issue as most of the kits ive been looking at have a 2" drop. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Welcome to NastyZ. :)

Check with Kieth at Custom Works, he specializes in our 2nd gen rides, is a site sponsor, and has a good reputation here. You can find him in the Classifieds, Sponsors and Vendors forum.

3. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I agree with CorkyE, call Keith he will get ya set up. I kinda have a mutt setup. I have Hotchkis springs and shocks with protouringfbody upper control arms. I stayed with a leaf sprung rear, the reason being money and simplicity my plan for the car is autocross and hill climbs.

4. SS Performance

SS Performance Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2016
    the 2K limits your choices.

I would suggest contacting Hotchkis.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Oh man... so many options... $2k seems like a lot, but it goes really fast.

I guess better springs, swaybars, and shocks are the good starting points. Assuming things like body bushings, steering linkages and the other basics are in decent shape.

Wheels and tires are also a major improvement (17" to 18" wheels).

That would probably eat up the budget right there (and then some).

But after that, I'd look at chassis stiffening such as subframe connectors and G-braces (cowl braces) as well as upper control arms. Also, a quicker ratio steering box.

6. Boyd Vanlandghen

Boyd Vanlandghen New Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Thanks for the info everyone. I realize 2K will disapper real quick. Joys of owning a project car. Hotchkis was one of the kits I was looking at and read some good reviews on. Summit racing offers this TVS kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hss-80017

With the addition of these adjustable shocks https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hss-79030004

Like CorkyE and Hillbilly75 mentioned I might reach out to that Keith gentleman for some additional feedback. I would like to go with a coilover setup but I know that tends to get a little more pricey. Wheels and Tires are next on my list of items to buy. Slowly picking my battles with this car

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Maybe a set of later model Z*28 /Trans Am WS-6 springs (they were heavier cars.) A good set of gas shocks .KYB`s .Koni`s ,Carreas.et. A set of 1 1/4 front .7/8 `s rear.sway bars, With a Herb Adams rear sway bar kit with grease-able polyurethane sway bar bushings.You can use your stock brakes and steering linkage .But rebuild them of needed.I have used this system on my 1979 Z-28 RS camaro when it was a daily driver. So I did it on the weekends a little at a time.You can if you wish add some frame connectors if you wish and as the money becomes availiable

Attached Files:

8. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Katy,Texas
    Body bushings, new front springs(a list her somewhere on MOOG rates. Something in the 500-600/in rate. Good shocks-Bilstein,Koni, etc. Stock rear springs. TA 1 1/4" front bar, 5/8-3/4" rear bar-depending on driving style for oversteer. Subframe connectors. Wheels and tires!! Best bang for buck is low profile stickier tires you can feel the difference..

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know how you intend to use the car. Like if you plan on auto crossing or a road racing or if it's just a cruiser. But if it's just a cruiser forget the coil overs forget the adjustable stuff. for 2 grand you should be able to piece together a nice setup. You could always put together a nice foundation now and do upgrades later as use and funds dictate.

10. Josh Pool

Josh Pool New Member

Feb 19, 2018