Survivor: Keep original or modify the engine/drivetrain?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by queue, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ZEDL1

ZEDL1 New Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Toronto, Ontario

2. Allen B

Allen B New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Powder Springs, GA

3. ZEDL1

ZEDL1 New Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Toronto, Ontario
    My first car was a 1976 Camaro Sport Coupe. I worked two jobs to be able to afford to buy it at the tender age of 18. It was a "Day Two" car that I modified heavily, to the point of adding a 6-71 blower in the late 70s. I sold it only 4 years ago to a high school friend who wanted to get back into the car hobby, loved Camaros as much as I did, and knew the history of my car since we were buddies when I first bought it. I now own two 5th Gen Camaros. I love Camaros, and have been looking for a 1978 or 1979 Z-28 for some time. I'm looking for what the OP has - an all-original survivor. As I've aged my taste has changed. Both of my 5th Camaros are all original. One is a 2013 ZL1 which has become essentially a garage queen, rarely driven, and I'm very good with that, in spite of the abuse that I'm given by my gearhead friends. The second is a 2015 V6 daily driver that I love to drive. I'd keep the OP's Z all original. As has been mentioned by others in this thread, they are only original once, and that is what I've become to love. Just my taste now. If you as the OP decide to sell your car, I would be very interested in getting together on a private email basis to see if we can agree upon a price. It really does
    sound that you have what I'm looking for. Thank you. Jim.

4. Allen B

Allen B New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Powder Springs, GA
    I vote you modify it so my survivor will have 1 less competitor should I choose to sell it!!!

Seriously not an easy decision for someone that appreciates a survivor but doesn't like to be in the back of the pack on spirited drives.

The difficult part of putting the original drive train back in 5 or 10 years later is having all the correct GM hardware, wiring, braces, shields, etc and putting them all back in the right places. If you go that route bag & tag along with voluminous photos to have a chance of getting it back correct.

Personally I have one of each, a survivor 1980 Z28 and a modified 1981 coupe still has original paint and interior but a 383 with a roller can, built 200R overdrive and 410 gears. Just beware that even with a built 383 or 406 a 4th gen with an LS1 and a procharger is still gone leave you in the dust.

80sz and flowjoe like this.
  5. Allen B

Allen B New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Powder Springs, GA
    Jim, if you would be interested in a 1980 I might be enticed to let mine go.

6. btz28

btz28 New Member

Aug 12, 2014
    alexandria, mn
    My vote is sell the survivor.

1. You’ll get a little more for a survivor, as the market has shown.

2. Every year there is fewer and fewer survivor’s.

Buy one that you can modify to how you want and sleep good knowing someone is enjoying a unmodified z28.

flowjoe likes this.
  7. ZEDL1

ZEDL1 New Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Toronto, Ontario
    Allen, I may be interested in an 80. Here is my email address. I'd like to learn more about your car.
    jbsmith927@gmail.com

8. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    I've owned my( 2nd owner) 1973 Z28-RS-LT Camaro for 43 years, the original engine is now back in (had a stroker), just installed a 700r Trans and 4 wheel disc brakes. Now it is a "Driveable car". it's your car, do whatever you want. Mines not for sale, EVER. LOL

9. 2000SS

2000SS Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Ohio
    If that's your car in the picture, I love it!

I own a 1979 Z28. I bought it from original owner back around 1998. A little over 60,000 miles on it now. Completely original.

I'm with the keep it original crowd.

flowjoe and 2ndgenSk8 like this.
  10. 2ndgenSk8

2ndgenSk8 New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    California
    Your money your call. I have a totally stock 79 factory 4 speed Z and those 3.73s have a great jump but on the highway it's not the fastest. I dream of putting a 5 speed and upgrading the drive train, but I really like the fact that it is totally untouched. A good problem to have I guess, good luck.