Survivor: Keep original or modify the engine/drivetrain?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by queue, Feb 7, 2018.

1. queue

queue New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    Greetings, I have owned, and maintained, a 79 Z28 survivor for many years and am now considering selling it or keeping it and modifying the engine/drivetrain to make it more fun to drive.

Suggestions on modifications would be appreciated.

Thoughts?

Thanks

IMG_0411.jpg

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'd be hard pressed to modify a true survivor. but it's your car.

2ndgenSk8 likes this.
  3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Sell it to someone who wants a survivor. Take the money and buy one to modify.

queue likes this.
  4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    agreed, keep it pristine.

queue likes this.
  5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    What's in it now?

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Modification suggestions would best be based on the usage of the car and the intent, which you need to supply. Otherwise you could be wasting a bunch of dough for things you might never see benifits from.

It would be hard for me to change a survivor though. Some people don't really care about that though. I like the fact that my car isn't original and can bolt on and change whatever I want. It's all truely your call.

queue likes this.
  7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    For a survivor car I like upgrades that are easily returned to stock. A camshaft and intake swap can really wake up a small block.

queue likes this.
  8. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

May 2, 2009
    Nevada City, CA
    Keep it original.

queue likes this.
  9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    here are ways to make the car "look'stock ,But modified for more performance.Intake and camshaft swaps. Engine swaps (Put the stock one under the bench.) Extrude hone the exhaust manifolds. Twin high flow catalytic converter (instead of the single one) with 2 1/4 dual exhaust. MSD type ignition box .Modify the suspension with 1 1/4 front bar and 7/8 rear bar,with a good set of gashocks. To name a few. I did a few to my 1979 Z-28 RS until I didn`t have to through emissions any more. I modified the suspension as I could afford it.These are all bolt on ,So its not hard to change it back.Good luck to you

Attached Files:

queue likes this.
  10. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    I can’t drive a stock car, I hate being on the freeway stuck at 60 on third gear while every car just passes me at a cool 10-12 miles per gallon.

Why don’t you do a mild stock ? Bolt on suspension, 700r4 and Efi conversion to get you through.

I think the brakes are more than plenty on second gens.

I get not modifying an original blah blah but realistically unless you are going to sell it then keep it original if know you won’t sell it make it more fun. No sense in having a cool car you can’t enjoy

queue likes this.