super fine swirl marks and wax.

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by jroach, Jul 18, 2011.

1. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Did you wet sand the orange peel flat and start buffing from there, or are you just maintaining a previously-finished paint job? I hope you are not trying to buff a wet-sanded flat finish with a random orbital, you'd never get the sanding scratches out on the initial cut.

2. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    yep, took out sanding scratches with a random orbital and 3m rubbing compound. lotta hours there. now trying to fix the swirls from the rubbing compound.

also i was not able to get a pic. doesn't show on the camera.

3. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    There's your problem. You need speed and heat to properly remove hand sanding scratches. I don't care how many hours you spend or how harsh the compound you start with, a random orbital is not good enough to start with. It seems counter intuitive but if you don't start harsh enough you are not going to actually remove the initial scratches. You are going to round over the edges but the valleys will still be there, and it will show in the finished product. Start with a rotary, something with some bite like Meguiar's 105, diamond cut, Presta ultra cut, or whatever your preference, and either hard foam or twisted wool. That craftsman is a toy, not a buffer. A harbor freight rotary would be a good start and it would not cost much at all. This is if I am understanding you correctly, that you wet sanded the car out to 1500 or 2000 grit all over, and attempted to polish it with that little wax applying machine.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011