super fine swirl marks and wax.

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by jroach, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    will wax fill an extremely fine scratch or make it more visible? i have gotten most of the swirls out, but i can still see some very fine scratches under flourescent light. but only in the reflection of the light fixture. will this disapear in the sun with a coat of wax?

2. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Honestly, I would get it in the sun now before you wax it and correct any issues you see before you wax it. That way you know for sure everything looks ok. You could also use a glaze before you wax but the glaze will wash off once the wax wears off.

I use a sealer over a glaze on my 79 since I don't wash it that often. The sealer should last A LONG TIME.... The addition of the glaze really made the 5ft paint job pop!!!

3. southview

southview Veteran Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Viera, FL
    use a foam pad polish and very slow speeds on buffer

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Waxing swirl marks from not finishing down your buffing job properly is just a bandaid. If the buffing job does not look right under certain lighting, it's not right, and I'd figure out what different products and pads you need to use to get it right. If it's a black car, you may well need to finish it with a super soft finishing pad on a random orbital after you are done with a super soft finishing pad on a rotary with a very fine swirl remover.

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

6. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    im using a random orbital with a meguiars fine polish and swirl remover on a terry cloth type bonnet.seems to be working pretty well just taking a long time. i have about 2 hours into a foot and a half square. the only way i can see the "scratches" is if i put my face right next to the hood and look at the reflection of the flourescent light at just the right angle. maybe im being to picky, as this the first time i have really detailed it.
    car is bright metalic blue[​IMG] picture is before cutting in the clear.

7. David79Z28

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Beautiful color!!!!

No sense in settling for something you don't like at this point. It can be buffed out. Like the others have suggested, step up to a foam polishing pad first, then use less aggressive polishes until you acheive the look you want.

What kind of random orbital are you using? I doubt if you will ever pull the swirls out with something like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...0723000P&pageInd=product&i_cntr=1311119330448

A rotary or DA polisher would be better at this point.

Here is a little chart that will help:

http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm

8. Lerchinator

Lerchinator Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2009
    On Earth
    Meguiars fine polish and swirl remover should work you might find a foam pad getting better results faster. If terrycloth picks up any dirt/dust it likes to hold that near the polishing surface foam will not.

Here is a place to find some good detailing info http://guidetodetailing.com/how-to-remove-swirl-marks/

9. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    i have the sears buffer that david 79z28 linked. can i get a foam pad that can be used on my buffer? i have a wool bonnet also, would that be a better choice?
    i will try to get a picture of what im talking about. i honestly don't know if it will show up on the camera though.

10. David79Z28

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I was afraid of that!!!! Wool will probably be worse. I use one on a rotary for compounding after wet sanding and have to follow up with foam pads, polishes, etc.

You might want to look into a cheap rotary with a foam pad and a machine polish or swirl remover. I have a vector that was very cheap. Be careful though, you can screw up your paint, fast with one.

A dual action polisher with a polishing pad and swirl remover would be your best bet. But they are pricey....