Sunburnt dash pad fix?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by mason097, Oct 25, 2017.

1. mason097

mason097 New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    After having good success cleaning my stearing wheel, I pulled my dash pad off to clean it but the dash had a different problem. Instead of the black stuff being down in the low spots of the texture, the tops of the texture were blackened, and only on the top of the pad. I think it is sunburnt from sitting outside. Can I clean this out without having to sand on it? Would a scrotch brite work without damaging? Can I redye over the sunburnt portions?

heres some pictures WP_20171022_18_21_14_Pro.jpg WP_20171022_18_21_20_Pro.jpg WP_20171022_22_30_27_Pro.jpg

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Assuming you don't want to replace the pad with a reproduction pad you can try spraying it with SEM brand Color Coat or something similar - after a good prep including a scratch pad. Go easy using the pad so as not to oliberate the grain. SEM has a tech line to give you advice on using their products.
    From the looks of your pad, IMO you would be better off replacing it or having it sprayed by a shop with the proper equipment and experience. You might consider a dash cap also @ about $100.

3. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Clean it as best you can then SEM. Light coats. Unless you want to spend $400. The way I see it, it will get me by until I have the money for a new one.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Looks like there is some edge lift there too. You'll want to fix that before painting. It requires a hot air gun. You should be fine with the SEM products. Might also want to top with the matte clear for added protection. Use the adhesion promoter. You also may want to add the two more studs and clips on the underside to try and hold the edge down better.

5. mason097

mason097 New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Thanks to all. 400$ is just too much I think. That much money will go a looong way on paint, my next step. Ill paint this pad a while before I install it on the car so I can see if it doesn't want to stick or the black shows through.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    that may be the true color ,black, be for it was brown

7. mason097

mason097 New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    ahhh. Thats a good thought. I'm interested to see if that's true. On the inside of the cap it says "1974-5," so it may have been taken off of a black interior 74 or 75.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I used Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000, They had an additive for their paint line that turned any tint or color you wanted into interior paint or dye. I used denatured alcohol to wipe down. It evaporates nice and clean. Ask your local paint supply people what will work. The additive I used worked with just about every paint I tried. PPG, Dupont etc.. Some interior guys used latex based paint that will look great until you try to clean with ammonia based cleaners. That would cause it to lift.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I use the PPG SB series dye works really well. Your local PPG dealer should be able to match your color.

10. Fbodywarehouse

Fbodywarehouse Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 7, 2006
    On the edge lift ya take some 1x1s and cut them down to fit between the studs heat the wrap with a heat gun and clamp them tight, re-staple and let cool, will straighten that edge right out, then redye using SEM and SEM low luster clear, Dont use Hi Gloss clear or you'll blind yourself with the sun reflection.