Subframes from 70-73 fit Thur 81?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Charlie Moore, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Charlie Moore

Charlie Moore Member

Jan 6, 2017
    green bay wi
    I have a general question, I'm trying to find a subframe for my 71, I am wondering if an 80 would fit? I haven't got the full floor pan welded in yet because I was wait to get a frame and line up the holes. Any advice?

2. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    The most noticeable difference is the rear body mount location. Next is the different transmission cross member mounting. Another thing is that the lower control arms on your 71 use 1/2" bolts and the 80 uses 14mm bolts. There are some other subtle differences as far as measurements but it can be done.

I put an 80 Firebird frame in my 70 Firebird. You can look at my project thread for details http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=47001.0

Here's a thread discussing differences of the F body sub frames from 70-81. The Camaros and Firebirds used the same frames but the engine mounting holes were different for birds/Camaros through most years. The late frames seem to be made of higher quality steel and welded better than the early ones. Checker (yup the cab guys) made a lot (or maybe all) of the late frames as a sub contractor for GM. http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=68213.0

If you want to use your stock lower control arms in the late frame look at this. https://lab-14.com/products/70-73-early-2nd-gen-f-body-1-2-lower-control-arm-mount-reinforcement-kit

If you have any questions I might be able to answer PM me or post here.

Austin Daye likes this.
  3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    iI am a little interested in this post , so back to the top for you, Up to what years are a show in for 70 thru 73 .

John Wright likes this.
  4. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    70-74 are very similar with the only real change being the mid year change in '73 from 1/2" bolts holding the lower control arms to 9/16" bolts.

5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Good info!!
    Didn't realize the change for lower control arms & bolts was mid year 1973... I always thought it was at the beginning of the 73 model year.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    If it's in the budget I would get an aftermarket frame. If you already planned on tubular control arms, sway bars, shocks, steering upgrades etc, the frame itself really isn't that expensive. I love my DSE frame

7. Charlie Moore

Charlie Moore Member

Jan 6, 2017
    green bay wi
    I actually just ordered the heidts subframe with everything that comes with it, just the base package though. Should be getting it tomorrow, I wanted to get the dse subframe but damn it starts at 7k for just the base package.