subframe bushing replacement questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by slick78, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA

+1 on the grinder for the core support. Soak the other 4 main ones, they are a pain to access and you don't want to spin a cage nut.

2. kmontee

kmontee Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Pendleton, Oregon
    What Gin_Man said. Put some heat to it (dont catch the bubber bushing on fire). The heat will help draw in the lube.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Stop by So. Ohio and pick me up too. I've about forgot what my Camaro looks like.

4. slick78

slick78 Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Centreville, VA
    Sounds like I ought to go ahead and get myself a propane torch too - the heat/cool/PB/hammer sequence sounds like my best chance of getting the bolts out of there, short of cutting them off.

This'll work out well. I got a gift certificate for Home Depot for Christmas that I haven't used yet...I'll use it for a torch.

Looking forward to Saturday, get those things off of there!!

If you don't see any more posts from me after this weekend, you'll know I really screwed up bad with the torch... :eek:

5. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You could whack the head of the bolt off in under 90 seconds with a 4~6 angle grinder with a cutt off blade. I did just that just a few months ago when My new stainless steel hardware seized on me because I forgot they were stainless.

6. slick78

slick78 Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Centreville, VA
    Combination of the torch, the PB, and a 24" breaker bar attached to the socket got the bolts turning :D -- socket wouldn't hold on to the really rusted one, but the vise-grips and a hammer did that part of the job just fine.

As bad as that bolt looked, the area under it isn't in bad shape...a veneer of rust, but it's solid and the hole is fine, not rusted out bigger or anything. I cleaned up the area with a wire brush and a wire wheel on the drill, then painted it. One more coat tomorrow, then when it's dry I'll replace the bushing. I'll get some pics of the area as I'm putting it back together and post them to the thread.

But, there is one little problem...

One of the nuts is turning, but it's not coming out. It's the back one on the driver's side. So, am I spinning a cage nut?? I was trying to figure out how to get to where the bolt is screwing in (the cage nut, if that's what it goes into), but it's located right about under the front of the driver's seat, and I didn't find an obvious way to get access to it.

What should I do about this one? I thought I could probably get the old one out by undoing it as I'm jacking up on that side, so there'd be pressure holding the nut down while I'm loosening the bolt. I'm not sure that I'd be able to get the new one to "grab" so that I could tighten it though.

What do you all think?

7. Marks71BB

Take the driver seat out and drill a 2" hole in the floor to get to the cage nut. measure three times to locate it.

8. slick78

slick78 Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Centreville, VA
    Yup, that did it. Cut a hole in the floor and found that the nut was spinning within the cage when I turned the bolt, so I popped the cage up, clamped the nut, and then could loosen the bolt.

Here's what it looked like when I was about ready to start turning it, (clamped and soaked in PB):

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of it after I loosened the bolt:

[​IMG]

Also, here are a couple of pics of the bushing area next to the battery that was so rusted out and messed up, after cleanup and paint, ready for new bushing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of time this weekend, but all the bolts are loosened, I have the new bushings and bolts ready, so next weekend I should be able to replace them. Unless I run into any more surprises..

9. Marks71BB

Vice Grips are your friend!! glad ya got it.
    I would still think about a new core support but that will do for now.

Good job!

10. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Wow, you're really going pro! Here's a hot tip for ya.

Any local parts store should have a rust converter, like 'One Step' by Mar Hyde. Pretty handy stuff. Follow the directions and it'll save you a lot of time and effort getting that rust under control.