subframe bushing replacement questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by slick78, Feb 15, 2008.

1. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    If you don't have access to a torch, I've had good luck with soaking the bolts with PB, heating them, letting them cool and resoaking. Try this several times and before getting the right socket to remove them, beat on the head a number of times with a hammer.

2. slick78

slick78 Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Centreville, VA
    I don't have access to a torch, so how do you go about heating them? The PB is flammable, so I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid..

3. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy

I said that because by the time it's all over, I bet he will wish that he did. LOL

Get a BFH out and a chissel and cut it out....then you will have to maybe drill the bolt and tap...
    When there's that much rust there is no easy fix and one thing will lead to another when taking it apart.

good luck slick, it can be done but that core support looks like it'll need some repair when you get the bushing out.

4. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    If you don't have a blue wrench, do you have an angle grinder?

Grind/cut the head off the bolts.

Then, throw a wire wheel on the grinder & at least clean up that rust & prime/paint the support for the time being...

5. brick_haus

brick_haus Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Somis, Ca.

I tried this^^ but it just made me dizzy

6. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    When I said propane torch, I meant the type you do diy plumbing work with since I assumed most of us have one. Yes, PB is flammable but it burns off very quickly but just don't let the rubber start burning. The heat/cool cycles seem to allow the PB to work into the threads further and break the bolt loose.

7. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Jax, FL
    I used to work on saltwater boat trailers and putting a little (sometimes a lot) of heat on it would make the rust flake or pop off breaking it free. I would get the bolts cherry red then let it cool a little bit and hit the top of the bolt pretty hard with a hammer and would "shock" it loose. You may have to do it a couple of times if it doesn't work the first time. Putting the PB on it between times will def. help the situation.

B

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Go down to WalMart and get a propane torch kit with a bottle of the mapp gas in the yellow cylinder. The new torches with the electric ignition and the bud tip really get hot. Heat the heck out of the nut and wrench it quick.

9. gadrix

gadrix Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 11, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I don't know how you Northern boys deal with that corrosion.

Dammit

Pack it up, head South. Your Camaro will love you for it.

j/k

Craig

10. THOMAS81Z

THOMAS81Z Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2000
    new market NH
    hey your preaching to the choir soooo quick send the rescue boat and get me the hell out of here:whine: