subframe bushing replacement questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by slick78, Feb 15, 2008.

1. slick78

slick78 Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Centreville, VA
    I'm replacing the inner fender and battery tray on my 78, and the subframe bushing is in horrible shape so need to replace that too, (thanks Twisted_Metal for pointing it out in my "rusted battery platform" thread).

Check it out...pretty nasty:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure exactly what I need for this...I've looked through some of the parts catalogs and I'm a bit confused on what I need in terms of bolt(s), washer(s), bushing(s) and biscuit(s)...

Can you guys give me an idea of what parts I need, and also any suggestions on doing the job?

Thanks!

2. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would bet the rest of em look just like that one.
    There has been a lot of info posted on sub frme bushings here. It depends on what you will be doing with the car. There are basicaly three options. 1. factory rubber, 2. urethane, or 3. solid mounts.

3. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy

You forgot the last option...leave it alone.

4. Marks71BB

he wont leave it like that.

5. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    You should be able to buy a kit with everything you need. For example: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294881579+4294908216+4294908198+115+4294925060

[​IMG]

NPD, and I'm sure many other places, sell the rubber bushings. Poly will tighten up the body a little. If you ever plan on adding sub-frame connectors, install solid mounts now & be done with it. Protouring f-body (on this board) sells a nice kit with the solid bushings & all the hardware you need.

Here is a great how to: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17406&highlight=subframe+bushing

Edit: PS, good luck getting that bolt out. It looks a little rough. +1 on just doing them all...

6. frozenbowtie

frozenbowtie Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  7. pete0331

pete0331 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Kitsap, WA
    I installed the PTFB ones a few months ago, and I am happy with the results.
    Replace them all at the same time, and from the looks of things you have quite a job ahead of you.
    Start soaking all of them with PB Blaster now, so by the time the bushing get there you will be ready to throw them on.

8. Toomanyhobbys

Toomanyhobbys Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    Use the OEM's for street. Do a search, 67Lemanster and others did a super write up on replacing them

9. slick78

slick78 Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Centreville, VA
    That's awesome, thanks for all the info!!

Gonna order the kit and start soaking the bolts today. I'm thinking I'll go with the poly.

Great write-up in the other post on how to do it, (tip on jack placement is priceless). Looks like the hardest part of the job will be getting the old bolts out...

10. Marks71BB

Good luck slick! Let us know how it turns out for ya.