Subframe alignment

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sevitz5, Feb 28, 2011.

1. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middle Point, Ohio
    I hope this is the place to ask this question. I have a 1970 camaro and I need to align the subframe. My question is...how is the easiest way to do this in my garage??? is it as simple as loosening the 4 bolts and prying it around?? The motor and tranny are bolted in the car. Thanks for helping.

2. Problemchild

Problemchild New Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I had issues getting mine to move but it wasn't off that bad so I didn't spend a ton of time on it. Find a socket that just fits in the alignment holes and pry her around til the socket slides in the holes would be my best guess. if everything is supported right it should move. I had a book that talked about frame alignment but it wasn't real specific :/

3. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    There are 6 bolts, 2 at the core support.
    There are alignment holes in the subframe brackets on the center pair and corresdonding holes in the body. they should get you close using long drifts to line up the holes.

4. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    This is what I did.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middle Point, Ohio
    Thanks for the info guys, Is it ok to put jack stands under the rockers to support the weight, then loosen the bolts and shove it aroung till I line up the guide holes, tighten it back up and then take measurements to get it set.

6. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    Why does it need aligned? If due to an accident the body gauge holes may not be of any use.
    After the subframe in mine was removed for painting it had to be installed and aligned. It was fairly easy and done on jack stands. The motor and transmission were not installed at the time. jack stands were placed under the floor support, the rear axle and 4 under the subframe. Using two long 5/8" metal dowels the drivers side was aligned to the guide holes with the dowel. This sets the front to rear alignment. Next the subframe was adjusted so that the other dowel fit into the subframe hole and the slotted hole in the body. This set the side to side alignment and then the 4 rear mounts were tightened. The final step was to check the measurement points like Jonesy did. Since I did not have a tram gauge I used string and weights to make marks on the shop floor and then measured between the marks and compared to the body service manual.

7. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middle Point, Ohio
    It needs aligned because the guy before me had it off to sandblast the car. I didnt know til I put my motor and tranny in and my tranny is crooked.