Sub Panel Electrical Advice

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by ultimateoffroad, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ultimateoffroad

ultimateoffroad Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Friendswood, TX
    I am hoping someone here has some electrical knowledge.

I am needing to run a sub panel to my garage to run the mig, compressor, etc. I was planning on adding a 60A but figure while I am doing it might as well just do a 100A. Question is I am planning to run two #3 one #6 and one #8. Once I get the wire in the attic does it have to be in conduit through the attic?

Thanks for any input!

2. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    Check you local codes. I personally would run it in conduit because it's 220.Gray PVC conduit is pretty cheap anyway.

3. ultimateoffroad

Feb 21, 2010
    Friendswood, TX
    I agree. Will run conduit. Now how often do I need strap it horizontal and vertical. Local just refers to the 2008 standard.

Also, should I go out the top of the box up or out the side. Does going out the top of box create potential for water issues?

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Check your local wiring codes. In most places, you need three #3 wires. The neutral is usually the same size as the two hot lines. The ground can be smaller, but again, check the codes to select the correct size. I assume you are talking about copper wire. Aluminum would need to be larger than #3 for 100 amps.

5. ultimateoffroad

Feb 21, 2010
    Friendswood, TX
    Thanks Gary. I tend to side with safety so will use the 3#3. Yes on copper

6. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    And on subpanels the neutral and ground are separated. Run the neutral to an insulated bar in the subpanel and the ground to a grounded bar. Do not combine as the neutral is a current carrying conductor back to the main panel. The ground is not a current carrying conductor, unless there is a short. The ground is for safety