sub frame Jig

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by KCardAZ_71RS, Sep 2, 2014.

1. KCardAZ_71RS

KCardAZ_71RS Veteran Member

May 20, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey guys, thought I would share this Jig I made which would allow me to strip the sub frame completely. I do not restore cars for a living.. this is my first rebuild and was trying to figure out a way to keep the sub frame on car, yet keep the car movable in and out of the garage to work on it. I purchased a 10ft 2" x 6" and cut two pieces about 41" long to span the sub frame using the two holes at the ends of the sub frame. I bought four 8" long 5/8 bolts and drilled holes to fit the frame holes, then another that mounted in my floor jack. Although not pictured, I also used jack stands under each side for added support and stability. (can't trust hydrolics that much) Over the weekend I removed tires, caliper assembly, upper and lower control arms, springs and now I can get to the entire sub frame to clean up and paint. The front end is pretty light with all that stuff removed. Moving slowly... I can use the floor jack to move the car in and out of the garage, etc. Works great I might add. It is resting equally on jack stands on each side. I don't intend for it to be resting this way for more than a month so I'm thinking there will be no added sagging, etc. I will be replacing sub frame bushings after I get the new front suspension stuff back on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    My subframe is off the car while I refinish it. I made something similar. I used a 4X4 post I had laying around and mounted wheels on either end. I roll it around like a wheel barrel.

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2012
    California
    This is so you can take the wheels off and still maneuver?

4. KCardAZ_71RS

KCardAZ_71RS Veteran Member

May 20, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Correct. It is working great. Short term until i get sub frame painted and install new UCA and LCA's.

5. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

May 12, 2002
    VA BCH, VA
    Good work thinking outside the box. I like it.