Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by MEAN79, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Ok I am tearing down my old storage area so I can kick out my garage 6 feet. Like I stated In my other post.

And my Q. Is the concrete slap its on is 5 1/2 inches lower then my garage slab. Can I keep that slab there and just put concrete over it when I pour the new slab it has rebar in that part already and plan on using rebar on the rest of the slab.

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    I did this over my old slab several years ago and had no problems.

3. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    cool. i really wasnt looking forward to busting that slab out.

4. a550550

a550550 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2008
    minnesota
    If you are pouring 5 1/2 inches on top of the old concrete, you will have no problem

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I advise putting wire mesh in it or get the concrete with the strands of fiberglass in it. You might want to drill some 1" or bigger holes with a hammer drill in the old concrete so that the two slabs will bond together.

6. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Good advice. However, I would not waste my time drilling into the old slab to tie them together. The top slab is not going to slide off the lower slab.

7. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just make sure the new slab is well attached to the garage slab so it wont drift away leaving a gap. thats where you want to drill and dowel, 1/2" rebar epoxied to the garage slab at 18" o.c. will do the trick. 24" o.c. would work but I like a lil overkill here and what are ya talking maybee two or three more bars?

8. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Thats good advice.Either way you go,youre damned if you do and damned if you dont when it comes to concrete.I would naturally want to tie in to the old,but then again...........

9. mmiler

mmiler Veteran Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Redlands, CA SoCal
    I've done this job toooo many times! You need to put 2" of sand down over the existing slab then pour 3 1/2" of concrete.(1" of sand is minimum) This keeps cracks from starting or mirroring themselves from the original slab. As Mark said some epoxied rebar is good for eliminating movement.

General Contractor in CA.

10. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Good idea on the epoxy and rebar so it won't shift. Ill need to get some epoxy. Already have the rebar. I dug around the current slab today to see how thick it was and it 6 inches. Thick.

Plan on tearing the roof and walls of this weekend. Killed 6 giant slugs and about 40 spiders in there today. Told my wife about the spiders and slugs. And she got creeped out and just told me to leave her out of it. And do what I have to get it finished.

Maybe I should get a 17 flat screen. Since I'm running satellite to my garage. And just tell her it had to be done:D