Stupid Drivers!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Phil G, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

May 3, 2004
    Tucker, GA, USA
    I know we all have stories. Here's mine from today:

Got rearended in traffic about an hour ago! Sitting at a red light behind a couple other cars. Saw this white BMW stopped behind me. Light turns green and I was going to make a right turn (signal on) and WHAM! WTF? Had just taken my foot off the brake.

Pulled over in a parking lot (was 1/4 mile from home). Guy pulls in and is freaking out! "I'm sorry man! I don't know what happened!" As I'm thinking "You ran into the back of my car dumbass!"

So I look at the back of the GTP (yes I was in my '99). All I could see was the CB antenna mount was tweaked a little bit and some scratches on the bumper cover. No telling if there is any damage underneath but I'll have it looked at. Said: "I guess we need to call the cops."

He said OK and called. His GF was in tears and kept asking me if I was OK. I didn't say anything.

So I walk to the front of the BMW (heavily modded M5 convertible about 5 years old) and the front end is DESTROYED! Both headlights, bumper grilles, hood is bent so bad it wouldn't open!

So the cop finally gets there and the guy admitted he hit me. Cop looks at my car and I pointed out the antenna mount was bent and the scratches. Cop looks at the BMW and goes "Damn!". Goes back to my car and I pop the trunk. Nothing out of the ordinary.

So the cop did all the required paperwork and called for a tow truck for the BMW (which by now was dripping coolant). Guy probably did more damage to HIS car than mine is worth!

I guess I'm going to start calling BMW "Beercan Metal Works" instead of "Bayerische Motoren Werk". AND a 19 year old Pontiac has just a few scratches. I'll crawl under tomorrow...

2. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Tewksbury, ma, usa
    Glad your ok, and the car! Sucks for him

3. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    I had a brake failure in my DD Honda a few months ago - I slid uphill (damp conditions) into a new toyota. Put a scratch in the Toyota, bent my hood, fender & radiator support.

There are "Crash" zones in cars - they do their job, but leave carnage behind

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    That happened to me in 1975 in my 1971 Z28. I was completely stopped at a red light and looked in my rear view
    mirror as I always do and saw the guy with his eyes off the road and his kid standing up on the front seat.
    The damage was minimal, a small dent on the rear bumper. I got the cost for a new bumper and told the guy
    the next day when I drove to his house for the $. I pocketed the $ and didn't change the bumper.

Here's the car.
    [​IMG]

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    image.jpeg
    This is a timely thread. I just saw this yesterday in a neighborhood I was driving through

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I rear ended someone in my nice car. I hit a Ford Explorer and he literally had a scratch on his bumper cover.....I was barely moving, airbag did not deploy...$25k in damage on my car..I got it fixed, traded it and leased a new one. I learned my lesson on nice cars, if it ever happens again let the the leasing company take the depreciation hit....I will never buy a new car again, only lease. I will buy used all day long for the right deal though.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have driven truck professionally for over 30 years .And have had the same philosophy. Of which I have avoided many accidents .You constantly are asking yourself "what is the stupidest thing someone can do.And it usually happens. I have a class A license so I have driven all sorts of commercial truck.I was sitting at a stoplight and glanced at my mirror .When a women in an 1981 S-10 Blazer run into the back my truck.My truck was eqipped with a "lift gate' .She totaled the front of her Blazer .All it did to my work truck was scratch the paint.What even more interesting .There was a cop right behind her with a video camera.

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    been on both ends AND in the middle of stupid chit!!!

never fails the 1 vehicle i really really really enjoyed (73 Firebird) been "off road", squirrely, stupid crazy driving to avoid IDIOTS.(i replaced the front spoiler about 4 times a YEAR..just avoiding BIG stuff)... then in a parking lot at a friends gas station....all the way in the cornoer of the lot...all by itself.... some dumbass backs out of a spot 100 meters away...and goes damn near across the entire parking lot, in REVERSE, just to crash into the rear corner of MY BIRD.. like WTF. The 1 part of the car you can't simply bolt on..YOU have to F*K up... :(

9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Being that I drive a truck for a living, I wish I had a few dollars for every accident I come upon that's a rearend collision. Way too many people with their attention on everything around EXCEPT the road and controlling their 4000lbs vehicle.

10. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Rear end someone with your GTP and your car will look similar to the M5. Its just how cars are built, the front is weaker and meant to collapse, the rear takes more force before it will also collapse. Its safer that way for both vehicles involved.