Storage unit as a shop....

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by CamaroDoc, Nov 27, 2013.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Just curious. Has anyone else set up shop in a storage unit? Mine is a 25'x40' with two bay doors and 16' cielings. I added a freestanding 25'x16' storage loft and lots of steel shelving.

Here is an old pic...
    [​IMG]

Looks more like this now. Belive it or not, there are 4 cars in there somewhere... lol.
    [​IMG]

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Looks like you need a bigger storage unit!!

3. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Tell me about it. I also have a pair of 12'x32' units full of parts and equipment in the same complex. I'm trying to sort and organize everything to get it all into the main shop unit.

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    How does it work for power in a place like that? I didn't think most storage units had power to them.

5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    For what you're paying in monthly rent, why not buy a metal building in an industrial area?

A 5'x5' around here is about $50/month...I can't Imagine what you pay there.

6. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    How secure is that? I wouldn't be able to sleep at nite with my stuff down the road at a storage unit !

7. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    Dude where do they have storage units that size??? I have never seen one anywhere near that big! Biggest units around here are just big enough to shoe horn a car into.

8. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Most storage facilities don't have electric. This place has outside outlets between each 12x32 unit since most of them are used for larger boat storage. That way, you can run a fridge or battery charger. My unit is one of two double wide units for motor homes. It has duplex outlets and two lights. I pulled the bulbs and ran extension cords to the fluorescent shop lights and they are zoned to reduce the draw. They were all on, in the pic, but usually it's just on where I'm working.

The big unit is $175 a month and no charge for the electric. As for security, there are probably a dozen cameras all over this complex that run 24/7. There is one directly across from my doors that looks straight into them if the doors are open. You can't get in or out of this complex without being on several of them. They also have a battery backup that will power the cameras for 48 hours if the power goes off.

I used to have a big 4000sf shop in Tulsa, right across the street from the police station. That's where my 72RS got stolen. Eight weeks later I lost a Ford flatbed. The junkers were dragging every piece of metal they could over the fence with some kind of hook or something. Even caught one crackhead cutting the cats off my truck while I was there. Between the rent, extra utilities, extra mileage, and the theft, I had to bail. I'm in a small town now with no crime rate to speak of. I spend most of my free time at the shop anyway. Late nights are the norm.

The owner has been in the shop and was impressed with it, once he was sure I wasn't drilling holes in the walls. He actually likes having me there at all hours for even more security. Pretty cool guy.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013