Storage in garage questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by djpage, Oct 26, 2017.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I packed my interior (back when it had one) with a bunch of 8 unit of silica gel desiccant bags on the back floor and in the trunk, but that was cause my company made them and I could get them for free. I put a humidity meter on the dash and it never got above 15%. Really kept the mildew-musty smell down. I kept them in there all year round with the windows rolled up and the vents closed. Kept it dry even during the dampest summer days. Folks use them in RV's alot. Another good way is to buy the desiccant in bulk and put it in open metal paint cans. In the spring, you can take the gel and regenerate it in the oven. You can do this pretty much forever.

2. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Ensure your coolant is up to par! Dont crack that block!

djpage and Smokey15 like this.
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Good call, Casper. Thank You. That's what I forgot to mention! Along with topping off all fluids.

djpage likes this.
  4. djpage

djpage New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Detroit, Michigan
    Thanks all!! I am definitely going to add dryer sheets to my list!!!

5. djpage

djpage New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Detroit, Michigan
    LUCKY!!!!! :)

6. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    Stored same car for 35 plus years in Michigan. Seafoam for me, stabil just didnt work. Cover car, thats it. Oh, I start the car once a month and pull it outside. Get everything nice and warm and park it again. I have a 3 stall garage so I see this car everyday. Battery is 14 years old. battery tender? yeah, at times. Spring time= fresh gas and run it.

djpage and Zstar like this.
  7. djpage

djpage New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Detroit, Michigan
    Thanks Rocket dawg....Do you fill the gas tank prior to storage?

8. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    No, I dont. About 1/4 full or less. I like fresh gas the following spring. I fulled my boat ( years ago) 55 gallon tank and added stabil to it. The next spring the boat ran like garbage until I used up all that gas. It was almost impossible to siphon it out. Fresh gas and it ran great again. That was my last purchase of stabil.

djpage likes this.
  9. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    No heat in a Michigan garage is bad for the car. But if that's all you got, here's a few things I found out, I've stored my 78 since 1979

Stabil, the one year I used the stuff my exc pump was swollen in the spring, my mechanic said don't use that crap. I do start them up on a nice day, no heat in a garage, things just start to rust or look bad. I now keep my garage at 65° In the winter, humidity is 17% in there, the heater drys out the air nicely.
    The bodys flex on these cars so I don't do blocks anymore. Run the A/C when you start it up in the winter.
    I put the good type of desacant bags in each car, about Jan put them in the oven, more often in a high humidity garage, go to a cigar shop and put a hygrometer in, you will be surprised, at my last house, with no heat, it would get up,to 70% inside. Ever sit in a car that smells like mildew ? Not nice.
    I have an extras stall in my garage, 3 people want to rent it, but then I can't work on anything. Lol
    Take the expensive t top bags and all the stuff from the trunk out just in case a mouse gets knocked up and she's looking for a place to crash. Lol
    Look in the car and trunk in the winter, one year the grommet came away from the fire wall and I saw some stuff on my floor mat, a mouse was setting up shop on my hush panel. Bastard.

djpage likes this.
  10. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    I've been double dosing all my equipment that gets stored during the winter for probably 15 years. Everything from my mowers and pressure washers to high compression Harley's, a Hayabusa, muscle cars, a Chris Craft boat with a 350 Chevy etc. The only problems I've run into are when I don't use it with the crap ethanol gas. My guess is you had bad gas, didn't use enough or some other issue. IMO, it's not the Stabil. I also never start anything during the winter. All that does is cause moisture build up.

djpage likes this.