Storage in garage questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by djpage, Oct 26, 2017.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Remove batt, change oil/filter, fill with 0% ethanol, loosen all fan felts/PS belts, jack car up at front just so the springs are opened a bit to relieve
    the weight off the front, jack rear at the front leafs bush so the springs don't get a chance to sag from sitting, then cover the floor with
    plastic. The 1st time I used Stabil was the only year my car would not start easily. I only use it in my John Deere.

djpage likes this.
  2. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I also put the car on jack stands front and rear to avoid flat spotting the tires. This year I got a new set of wheels/tires so I might just store the car on the old set. Thinking about purchasing those moisture absorbing packs as well and putting them in the interior. Last year I used Stabil and it was hard to start in the spring. Might take advice from COPO and skip it this year. Definitely keep tank full of gas. - from Clinton Township, Michigan.

djpage likes this.
  3. djpage

djpage New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Detroit, Michigan
    I had a bad experience with Stabil as well. I stored a generator with Stabil in the fuel tank and it wouldn't start until I drained the fuel and added fresh fuel. I think I am going to try the Seafoam route. I need to pull the carb off anyway and have it rebuilt...was sitting for 13 years and needs some attention...but that will probably be another thread..."Performance at WOT"!!

4. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    I usually pump the tires up to about 40psi to prevent flat spotting. I have never had an issue with it.

Zstar and djpage like this.
  5. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Whats winter? I drive my camaro all year long :p

6. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    I just put mine away yesterday
    dryer sheets everywhere, shut battery off, cover it and forget it (kinda)
    been doing it this way for 14 yrs , no problems for me , I'm in Mi. too

7. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    lol, Come to Mi. in Feb. and you'll find out right quick like

djpage likes this.
  8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Battery tender and lavender dryer sheets from the dollar store. That's it. I'm in Pa.

9. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    Cap off the exhaust. Literally had mice go up the exhaust port and take half the wife's bird seed into the muffler of my truck I stored it in our garage that was totally finished off too. Little Ba$tards.

Which reminds me to get my coolant 5 gal bucket trap down and get that back in action. Kill em all....

djpage, Zstar and Dave Nelson like this.
  10. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Along with the above, and mentioned by others, I drive the car to get the tank filled, add Seafoam then. When I get home, I change oil and filter. I detail the cars like I'm taking it to a show. When I park, I remove the negative battery cable (or remove battery completely in some cars). I open the glove box door and put the sunvisors down. Mice like those places to hide and they get on the visors to chew holes in headliner. I do not cover them. Easier to clean dust off than give darkness where mice like to hide. I even leave the hood and deck lid open. I throw moth balls all over under the cars, but never in them. I use a moisture absorber and Dollar Store scented odor blockers (Wife prefers Lavendar), along with dryer sheets in the glove box (again gb door is open), interior, trunk and underhood. When we get the perfume/cologne paper peel and sniff samples in our newspaper ads or mail ads, I open them and toss them in the cars. You may smell like a sissy in the spring, but it's better than smelling like mouse piss.

djpage and Zstar like this.