Storage in garage questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by djpage, Oct 26, 2017.

1. djpage

djpage New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hello all...new to classic car storage in my unheated garage (Michigan).
    Does anyone have any recommendations as to fuel? Should I fill the tank with 0% Ethanol fuel? Stabil? Seafoam? Drain it as low as possible?

I plan on pulling the battery and taking it inside the house with a battery tender.

Anything else I am missing? Underbody rust issues with cement floor?

Thanks!!!

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Not much to do for short term storage. I like to run the fuel low then before I restart I dilute with some fresh gas. Battery is disconnected with a recharge before start up. A few fabric softner sheets under hood and inside and its good for winter.

djpage likes this.
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Definitely no fuel with ethanol in it. Other than that, park it and remember to shut the engine off. More than that probably isn't necessary.

Rdobbs1977, djpage and Chevrolaine like this.
  4. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

What Gary said. Park it, ignore it til Spring, reconnect the battery and go.

djpage likes this.
  5. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    1. Should I fill the tank with 0% Ethanol fuel? - Wouldn't hurt, but don't go way out of your way to do this for winter storage. It goes with #2 though.

2. Stabil? - Yes. I always throw a double dose in because of the ethanol crap fuel. Run the car long enough to fill your float bowls with the treated fuel.

3. Seafoam? - Not necessary to me...

4. Drain it as low as possible? - Definitely not. You want to have a full tank of fuel so there's less of a chance for moisture to build up.

5. I plan on pulling the battery and taking it inside the house with a battery tender. - Good idea.

6. Anything else I am missing? - Throw a couple of dryer sheets inside the car and trunk. Mice don't like them and they smell better than moth balls.

7. Underbody rust issues with cement floor? - Not unless your cement floor stays wet.

These are just my opinions of what has worked for me for 40+ years.

Smokey15 and djpage like this.
  6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    I agree with the what others have said, the only thing I add is after the last trip of the season while the motor is still hot I do a oil and filter change, this way the start up in spring is with fresh clean oil.

djpage likes this.
  7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Aeresol Can of FLUID FILM for any unpainted parts, pieces, fasteners that will
    start rusting...........Use tooth brush or not ......figure on cleaning, washing ,
    wiping in the spring

djpage likes this.
  8. djpage

djpage New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Detroit, Michigan
    Thanks All!! I'm hoping to drive for another month, but it Michigan, you never know what Mother Nature is going to do!!

9. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I'm with Hawk an Dave. That's how I treat my cars and bike.

djpage likes this.
  10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    and clean out all food products ... didn't someone here leave their Mexican dinner in the back seat all winter ???

djpage likes this.