Still thinking of a name for the car...

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by mason097, Aug 27, 2017.

1. mason097

mason097 New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    HI EVERYONE! New here, my name is Mason and I live in Austin TX. I bought this 78 Camaro a few weeks ago with the intention of learning more about car restoration, I already have a bit of experience working on my El Camino that I sold a few months ago, but I want to learn prep and paint. The previous owner started restoration by gutting the car, patching all the rust and restoring the engine bay to nearly factory new. He was a cool guy, he even patched a little hole I found on the door sill, and I haven't found any more rust yet. It really looks nice under the hood. I got it to run on starter fluid but the carb needs cleaning. Currently the car is weathering Hurricane Harvey under a cheapo cover. Hope it isn't too bad. I'll put up a few pictures and my to do list for the car (which is still growing). Glad to be a part of your community and I hope to meet some of you in person soon. WP_20170731_001 1.jpg WP_20170731_009.jpg
    TO DO
    Strip interior
    Straighten body panels
    Paint
    Transmission gasket
    Fix steering pump leak
    New interior
    Dye interior panels
    Paint wheels
    Mount tires to wheels
    Taillight lens
    Charge A/C and get it working
    Install weatherstipping
    Install radio
    Install and adjust glass
    Polish trim
    Find upper and lower grill
    Rebuild carburetor
    Odds and ends
    Revise this list

I have many questions mostly about the paint process but I think I'll ask in the body section to get a more direct answer.

brooksman9 and FermentedSpirit like this.
  2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Don't float away. If it comes down to you or the car, the car is just rubber, glass and metal. Human life is more important. As for the name of the car, it will name itself. There will be something that suggests a name and it will fit. I had a car at one time named "Dimples". It was a super nice car that came out of St. Louis and had some hail damage. Hence the name.

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Ck out the zed sled build it has alot of good info

4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Welcome to the 2nd gen Family. Harvey if it makes it thru the storm.. like 80sz said zed sled from Eastwood will help you a lot.

5. Dentguy#4

Dentguy#4 New Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Butler,Pa
    Name it Harvey

jimrr and Twisted72 like this.
  6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Another vote for Harvey. Gotta be a male. Steering pump leak? He's marking his territory.

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  7. FermentedSpirit

FermentedSpirit New Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome Mason and good luck with the car. I look forward to seeing the progress.

8. mason097

mason097 New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    haha Harvey would be good, but the storm is not so bad a couple hundred miles inland here in Austin, just getting alot of rain. The previous owner had to sell the car because he bought it for his old wife and his new wife didn't like that. If I can find the name of the first wife, that would make a good name...

FermentedSpirit likes this.
  9. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the forum Mason. I like Harvey too. The name you want to use will come to you. I've called mine all kinds of names that I don't think I'm allowed to post on the site. Lol

FermentedSpirit and Twisted72 like this.
  10. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Welcome Mason. I wouldn't worry about a name. One will come to you (or your crazy friends!) as you own your Camaro.