Steering slop

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Layne02, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    So I am dealing with some play in steering wheel in my 73. I did the 3rd gen power steering box on it. Power steering is great but steering wheel has couple inches or so of play in it. I tried the adjustment on the box, but didn't change any. All steering components ( tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm) are all new and tight , ball joints too. The steering is fine after it catches. I am wondering if the steering box just isn't right or could it be in the column. Rag joint is new and tight. Any way to test to determine which one it my be, box or column?

p.s. I did this swap on my 67 and it steers fantastic.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The simple test is to get under the car and have someone sit inside and rock the steering wheel. From under the car you can see what moves and what doesn't. . Any joint that shows movement would be your problem.

3. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    Yea I will this weekend, I guess what I am wondering about is the steering box. When someone turns the steering wheel either way and there is slop in it, if you are under the hood you can see the intermediate shaft turning same amount , the new rag joint too. So I am worried up that the shaft on the steering box has the slop in it. Just hoping I didn't get a bad steering box. Been so long since I bought it I can't even remember where I got it.

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    If you see the rag joint moving and the pitman arm isn't moving then your slop is in the box. I don't remember if the 3rd gen box has the adjustment on the top. It is usually not recommended to mess with it but if your box has excessive play in it I would tighten it a half turn and try it. If it doesn't feel right you can always turn it back a half turn to be where you were.

5. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    It does have it, I turned it some but no change to it. Can't do much til Saturday. I will post back after I get to check it out more, Thanks