Starts hard when hot

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by tbrostrom, Feb 23, 2018.

1. tbrostrom

tbrostrom Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Portland, NY
    I have a 383 stroker with a basic reman starter from Autozone. When cold it starts right up, but when hot it cranks like the battery is dead/timing is off. Both are good so I know it's the starter. I have heard of hi torque/hi temp starters. My question is what is the right starter I need to get? Thanks

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If you had a GM starter with a HD armature then it would start.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    COPO is correct. I have the Camaro 1970 specs book from Chevy sitting here. In 1970, they made 3 different grades of starters for the V8 engines used on Camaros. There was the Low torque starter used on 307 engines. There was the Intermediate torque starter used on low compression 350 with 2bbl engine. Then, there was the UltraHigh torque starter used on SS350, Z28, and SS396.
    If you have either a Low or Intermediate torque starter, don't expect it to do a proper job of spinning a built up 383. Find yourself one of the UltraHigh torque starters. The 1970 UltraHigh starter was also used on the LS6 in the Chevelle in 1970 and spun it easily, so it would do a great job of spinning a 383.
    Also, all of the higher output engines with UltraHigh starters came equipped with the larger flywheel for better mechanical advantage which turns the engine easier.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Its your starter cyliniod .And especially if you have headers.The little factory heat shield is a joke I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro with a supercharged small block with "big tube headers" I use a Tilton style mini starter with a Moroso #7499 heat shield .With no futher issues

5. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    If you have headers, they are not uncommon to overheat the starter motor, and leave you stranded. The headers come very close to the starter indeed. A few companies make starter heat sheilds/blankets just for this. I know DEI is one company.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Probably the el cheapo reman starter is the problem. I have bought the same type before and had trouble very shortly after. Open the end cap to look at the brushes. They might be worn down. One that I got only lasted a couple years, past the 1 yr warranty. The brushes were so worn that they were half way into the screw that holds the brush in place. This starter did not have thousands of starts on it. The solenoid disc and the copper bolt that makes contact was worn down the same way. I have 40 yr old starters laying around that I cobbled parts from that were in better shape.

7. tbrostrom

tbrostrom Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Portland, NY
    Thanks everyone. Yeah the starter I'm using is off a plain jane 305 I was using as a temporary engine till I could afford my 383. And yes I have headers. Those cheap starters can't take the heat and the advanced timing the engine needs to run properly. At one time somebody had told me about a certain starter from Delco Remny I believe that would be good but I can't remember. Just purchased a good mini starter that I hope will work. Kind of embarrassing when it won't start right in the parking lot while everybody is looking at you!
    !

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I’m using a mini starter for a S-10 that has a V-6 in it. Works very well plus it’s not as close to the headers as the OME starter & about 5 lbs lighter.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That's one of the things that happens in the rain and your under the car tapping on the starter. Always fun...

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    That high torque starter with the cast iron front is a good choice. But you'll have to match up the bolting to your flywheel dia. and engine flange, angled or straight across.