Starting work on a recently purchased 71 z28 RS

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I can't believe I missed this thread before as I love watching 71 Camaros get worked on! Great looking car, can't wait to see more pics!

2. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    This might give you an idea, the only difference is my 71 Z28 had deluxe interior but the colour is the same, nice car!!

PEARS156.jpg PEARS161.jpg

jurquhart and 71RSLS like this.
  3. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    Very nice car you have 1beautifuldaughter! Are you starting the resto on it now?

4. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter Member

Aug 28, 2017
    The car is going through a serious fluffing as we speak, I have decided the right thing to do is put my preferences aside and put the original antique green on the car. The door insides , hinges, and inner trunk lid got some paint. When the paint was being applied I liked it and figured it should look cool. then I compared it with some of the inner factory paint on the cowl , and inner fenders and it seems a much darker browner green. I know it wasn't a science back in the day and that there would be variances in color, But now I feel like I am darkening the car when I would have lightened it. Well as they say " It is what it is" Its a very nice bronze looking green they looks almost black in the dark, I think the car will look great, Just hope after making the choice to put the original color on won't lead to people saying it looks like the wrong color. And also the black rally stripes are going to be pretty hard to see I'm thinking.

5. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    Some photos of color code 49 applied ,

Attached Files:

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Bodyman Bill, You are one of the very few here that owns a shop, really applies PAINT......

Seems to me a few of the expert resto shops/painters know how to apply the paint,
    color sand the paint, NOT color sand the paint, how to polish, etc etc
    WHERE AS the finish more closely replicates the "original lacquer" finish
    than the standard BC/CC super shiny finish..............
    Am I wrong here or just my imagination.........

I should probably ask Mike Slaughter in Colorado, but he wont talk to me !!!!

Another thing to is getting the same metallic material as was used in the original
    lacquer and then how do the final coat so the metallic lays up correctly ???????

Thanks,

7. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Chuck we are all pretty guilty of over restoring the body and paint on these old cars. Modern bc cc paint is so much better than the old laquers, really makes some of those older colors really look good. It's pretty difficult to duplicate the dull slightly textured look of the factory paint of tge 60s & 70s and most of us don't really want to. It's kinda become an accepted thing that most don't seam to mind. I know i block all my restos from 800 all the way to 5000 myself

8. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    I totally respect the opinions of proper restoration with restoring something to "what it was" even more so on a special or rare car, But I feel if it can look and be much better than the bad fit and finish that was done on a car to look good going by at 50 mph from the factory its all good. So I will respectfully be on the (Guilty as charged) list for over restored body and paint. And I will accept thirty lashes with a wet noodle as proper punishment : )

bodymanbill likes this.
  9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Just tell the painter "remember, they made one of these things every minute" and tell him he has a minute to paint the whole car and see if you are happy with the "period" correct results!
    I would vote for an over-restored paint job and if you don't like it, then spring for a "wrap" job for a few k. It is probably much closer to the original finish and you can even play with changing the color then.

bodymanbill likes this.
  10. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2004
    chico, ca, usa
    That's a great find. I have had my 71 RS Z28 for nearly 30 years! Let me know if we can help with your project!