Starting work on a recently purchased 71 z28 RS

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Aug 28, 2017.

1. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    If you paint the car a slightly different shade of green, then later decide to make the car as original as possible, you may regret not painting it the correct Antique Green. Painted the original color, you’ll always be able to make things more correct down the road should your prefrences change. If originality is not much of a concern, paint it a shade you’ll be happy with. You’re the one who’s going to see it every time you drive it. I personally think the original Antique Green looks really good. Did you look at the cowl tag to verify if black stripes are original for your car?
    Mike

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Yes, Thats what I'm afraid of , ( Regret) lol, Yes the tag states the black rally stripes Z28.19 , I wish it was easier to find an antique green original in a photo in the sun.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    If you have the paint code you should be able to get it mixed. I saw a GM code WA 4080. Not sure if that is the one on the trim tag. But easy to research.

4. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    Here are some photos of original antique green, this is under a halogen light. if you take the light away it looks almost black. It is code 49 ,,,,,I was told PPG no longer has a formula but I was told they could probably match it.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Here's a good reference site:
    http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Antique Green&tditzler=2337&rows=50

Lots of things to click on this page to see closeups and the 71 sales brochure. It has a Antique Green Z in the brochure.

I'm kind of surprised Chevy put black stripes with this dark of green. Forest green (code 48) is just a shade darker and they only allowed white stripes. The black stripes kind of get lost. It is a rich green though.

6. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    image.jpg Here is the PPG fomula for DBC, its a prophet fomula which means it was matched with there prophet camera. Have your local PPG jobber mix you up some and spray a few things, compare the match to your original parts of your car. When I bought my 73 original code 26 blue car (was silver when i got it) i had every intention of painting it black, never liked blue. I sprayed some stuff the original blue and kept looking at it for a couple years while doing the resto and it really grew on me. Now I love the color and im glad I went back to the blue

7. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    Thanks, That photo of the 71 Z28 in code 49 looks very nice to me, does have some highlights as apposed to the 70 forest green photo that almost looks like a solid color. very helpful. Maybe most of the photos I have been looking at are the forest green from 70, Do you know for a fact that the 70 was darker? There have been some questions here on the forum about that, ( If they are the same color with a different name and number), And a member was asking for photos of a 71 antique green and was being shown mostly 70. Well I don't want to confuse things, thanks for the input. If my car would look like that brochure photo in the sun I would be happy with that.,,,,,,,,And thanks Bodymanbill for the formula , I appreciate it.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Code 48 Forest Green is I think maybe a shade darker. Sometimes, GM would maybe call a color by a different name year-to-year or car-to-car but they would have the same color code. They seem to do this on Corvette's alot. They would give them racier names, but they were the same code and color. The fact that Forest is 48 and Antique is 49 means that it is really a different color. Just like in 69 they had a Fathom green that was close to Forest Green, but code 57 so really a different green, a bit darker.
    Also, if they were the same color than the PPG's, DuPont, Sherwin Williams would have the same code and they don't.
    The other thing is that with the clear coats the gloss is always better than with the non-cleared lacquers that were original. So in the sun, they really light up more. Getting it to be exactly like original is almost impossible, unless you have a few gallons of the old lacquer sitting around.

I looked up Antique Green 1971 Camaro on Google and came up with this car:
    https://classiccars.com/listings/vi...amaro-z28-for-sale-in-plymouth-michigan-48170
    It looks darker than yours and even darker than Forest Green. Its been re-sprayed so who knows?

9. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    I watched that video and that seems to be the way my car might want to look black without light. But I also noticed the inner door jambs and under hood fenders look lighter, so yah who knows , thats what makes this hard to decide. thanks for the link