Starting work on a recently purchased 71 z28 RS

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Aug 28, 2017.

1. biendog

biendog Veteran Member

Oct 8, 2011
    bellville,tx
    How did you end up with this car,there has to be a good story that came with it? Great project car.

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Hello, NICE Z and welcome to the site

WE will help you do everything you want to do and make suggestions for items you
    wont want to do as you may not care.

1) Suggesting you consider a reproduction exhaust system from Joey Gray.
    PYPES system is much more hi perform but nothing like OEM stock......

3. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Yes, I do appreciate that advice, I was torn between stock or performance exhaust, I just have this problem with a car having to sound good. So I figured being un altering nut and bolt job, I would go ahead with pypes for now. I couldn't find what seemed like a good sounding stock appearing muffler , would like to end up later with the tail pipes coming out in the right place with that little offset for the leaf spring. Thanks, For future. Who is Joey Gray?

4. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Car came up one morning on Ebay with a buy it now. I could tell from the pictures and description it seemed ligit ,, I went back and forth with the seller, and my wife told me I should buy it. I could tell from the response ( views) it was getting at 7am that there was an enormous interest in the car. So I hit the Buy it now and immediately got nauseous. lol I rented a trailer and my wife and I went 5 hours to pick it up thinking the worst. The seller turned out to be a very nice honest guy, and the car turned out to be everything I was hoping. The story behind the car was he bought it from the second owner in Rode Island who had the car repainted in the late 70s and had a terrible job done and got disgusted with the car and let it sit in the garage for near 30 years. Last time the car was registered was 1982,

5. Billy 30548

Billy 30548 Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Welcome to the group I am doing a 71 Z28 pro-touring have a lot of the original parts if you need anything, but like the green

6. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Yes, but since you're talking about keeping it mostly original, you could probably ask most of your questions in the "Original Drivetrain Topic"--> https://www.nastyz28.com/forums/original-drivetrain-topic.31/ . Search the threads there and ask Q's as needed. Nice find! :bowtie:

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    A quick search tip. you may already know this, but for researching Originality questions do a Google search on user M21RSZ28 and focus the search on the NastyZ28 web site. Like this:
    M21RSZ28 site:nastyz28.com

Other users to focus on are DCL70, CamarosRus, COPO, l16pilot

It will lead to hundreds of threads. Most of the pictures are gone due to the Photobucket mess. But in the same search go to the Images tab and most of the photos have been cached by Google. At least for now anyway. The resolution isn't as good as Photobucket, but for many things it is OK.

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  8. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    Welcome to the 2nd gen family .. good find and good luck with it all