Starting work on a recently purchased 71 z28 RS

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Aug 28, 2017.

1. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Hello, I hope I;m in the right spot to introduce myself new to the sight with the car I just bought a month ago. I have already learned a lot about my car just using the sights spech info. pages, I will be posting questions on the sight about various things I need to find out about the car as I start work on it. It was off the road for about 33 years and I have just finished working the bugs out of it to make it road worthy and find out what its made of. It runs and drives great and is a lot of fun. I plan to restore to original condition for the most part. I was questioning the original antique green but I have already been inspired to keep it just reading some other posts on the sight. The color on it now is not a correct match from original. it is a little lighter. Was repainted back in the late 70s with bad prime and prep and sat quietly peeling ever since. DSC02006.JPG DSC02008.JPG

Attached Files:

Budz likes this.
  2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Nice car, and welcome to the site!

I'm liking the green. There was another member here that did a brown car, and honestly I gotta like these more unusual colors. How many black/red/blue cars are there out there? When you see something with old-school dark green it actually catches you more than "yet another black car." And that's coming from a guy with a black car!!

So what's the specs on the car? Original drivetrain? Any rust or issues?

3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Welcome! I like, and would keep, the green as well. That said, my wife's '71 Z was Rosewood. She had it painted Hugger Orange.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
  5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Very nice. I like the green as well. Welcome. Where are you from?

6. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Welcome nice car. I like green, don't see enough of them IMO.

7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Welcome to the group. I'm glad you are saving another 71 RS/Z28. Tell us some more about it. Is it automatic or 4 speed how original under the hood is it? Nice find

8. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter New Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Thanks for the warm welcome, The car is original #matching LT1 350. Only things under hood not original is the water pump and the battery, and the smog is gone. The underside is perfect with most original reddish primer still there, Perfect floors and trunk and drop downs, perfect rockers. The only rust (rot) is a hole behind the driver rear wheel,,, and the bottom of the pass front fender. Original TH400 trans, Original 3:73 Posi rear. 72 thousand showing on the odometer, I had to put new tires and a Pypes exhaust, and of course service all the fluids and fix some leaks. I did not expect to be driving it so soon but this thing just wants to be back on the road , It even passed a NYS safety inspection. I guess as I ask questions about the car here I am supposed to go to specific threads?

Attached Files:

9. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice car and welcome to the site, also a fan of the green :happy:

10. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Congratulations and welcome. A lot of smart members here to assist you with any questions you may have. Enjoy.