Starter ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by hogg, Dec 19, 2017.

1. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    When putting a shem between starter and block? are you putting the starter gear deeper or or less?

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    A starter shim the full length of the starter pad will give you less engagement. I have heard of people putting the shim on the outer bolt and that can give you more engagement.

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I thank i need a little more engagement,I put one of those newer type startes on and it is working most of time then as battery get a little lower on power it starts to slip on flex plate. could i grand down the mating surface both sides,at bolt holes ,of the starter to get it closer to starter,are not? I'll try the outer bolt first.

4. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Nashville
    there's two types of shims out there. one to correct over extension of the starter pinion and one to bring pinion teeth closer to flywheel/flex plate where they come close to mating. if your pinion is to close to the fly's teeth (i.e. a paper clip cannot fit) then shim it out-- from the block. if your pinion is not close enough to the mesh of the fly's teeth then remove the shim.

if your starter pinion is over reaching the fly or going to far, then shim it from the inside of the starter. hope this helps,

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
  6. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    There was no shem to start with, so i could not remove it. I put one end of a shem under the outer bolt,betwen starter and block just a hour ago. So for so good, haven't had it skip ,speen yet ,run the battery down and it still had not tried to kick back out. It still looks like it should be
    deaper into the gear.The pinion seems to be in the ight lpcation when engaged.I wll test it some more tomarrow , If it keeps on working i will take off and file off metal on both sides ,bolt holes,untill it looks right. I got

2 more new ones about the same way. Thanks for all the post, just what i needed to give me confidence that i knew what i thought i new to start wtth. Bad starters,not machined right. Ebay Thanks again.

7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    The problem is more than likely the line bore of the Engine block. You could put 20 starters on the the issue would be the same.

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    The org. type starter works fine, I just wonted the newer type , and got a deal on 3 of them and all three did the same , put the old org. starter on and it worked again. All i can find on shiming starter is more or less of pion or forther out for more clearance, or shim one bolt. Starter gear does look to go accross the ring gear at an angle, getting forther away from ring gear as it gets deeper . Ill be looking at the posted , post, for starter shiming ,, Thanks ,