Starter Wire Help-Do I need this?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by wdstamper, Jan 20, 2018.

1. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Twisted is right, don't chop it up. Find all of the connections that are part of the computer wiring harness and disconnect them, then you can take the whole harness out in one peice.

Doing it this way you will discover the other components of the system that you can safely remove from your car.

2. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Attached is the schematic for all of the ECM related wiring.

Attached Files:

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Could put the harness thru firewall and tie wrap under dash. No cutting at all

4. wdstamper

wdstamper Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    That might work. I have it all zip tied out of the way but it’s pretty greasy. Not sure what I’m going to do at this point. Just want it gone as it’s useless and an eye sore. Thanks for the input.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I have a 81 that I took computer and harness out. It was a pita but I gained a few hp by removing the miles of wire and gadgets.

6. wdstamper

wdstamper Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Just a quick update and pic. With 80sz help, I located the two computer-smog harness connector snaps under the dash. I disconnected them. With the computer long gone, the two computer side connectors were just laying there unsnapped. The previous owner had already re-routed the power wire so I did not have deal with that. Nothing was connected on the engine side so I cut the harness at the firewall and pulled the bottom out thru the inside of the car. Wallah! Its gone!!! Thanks for all the help!

Walt

Computer Harness Pic.jpg