Starter heat shield or heat wrap?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Powers76, May 17, 2008.

1. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Just today on a hot day i had the problem that my starter didnt want to turn over. Someone said that it was probably my headers heating up the starter making it not want to turn. My question is which is more effective, a heat shield or heat wrap? Thanks

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

is this a stock GM starter or a gear reduction mini-starter ?? .......... if you don't have any space between the header tubes and the starter you're always going to have hot start issues from heat soaking . i would use a good quality heat wrap around the starter as this method seems to pull the heat away better . if you're still using the stock GM starter going to a gear reduction mini-starter will help alot as the space around the starter to header tube distance is increased which means better air flow and cooler temps for the starter

3. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    yes its a stock gm starter, i dont think i will be upgrading to the high torque starter because i dont really have the money and its not that big of a deal. but thats what i thought about the heat wrap working better than the heat shield. I couldn't see a little metal piece working better than a full on padding around the starter.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    The heat sheid is a PITA to install but they do work.

I bought a high torque mini starter on Ebay for $75 shipped to me. It starts our 292 (.060" over 283) a lot better than a stock one.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Don't use wrap on your headers.
    It will keep your starter cool but usually shortens the life of the headers dramatically.

A shield allows for some air flow around the starter but keeps most of the heat from the headers off the starter.

Both methods you mentioned will work but starter wrap keeps starter induced heat in if you ever have to crank it for long periods.

7. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Lorain, OH
  8. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Severna Park, MD
    In a $$$ pinch use a beer can....

Believe it or not when I used to run a Rat Nova I used a modified beer can. Drink the beer first then tin snip the can ends ensuring you keep and keep the natural curve. Slide it over the solenoid and just back from the connectors in the front. It is usually the solenoid that heats up and causes starting issues, not the starter. This is the cheapest jury rig I know, I used it for years with success when I had a shoe string budget.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    You can fix it for almost free. Just grab a handful of fiberglass house insulation and shove it down between the headers and the starter. Problem solved. Just be sure to remove all paper backing from the insulation because paper is flammable.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I put a heat shield on mine. Jegs sells a shield with a metal shield that has a layer of some insulating material. Tight fit though. I didn't think a wrap would work as well since it holds heat in as well as keeping it out?