Stalling when stopping at turns

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 70RSZ28CAMARO, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 70RSZ28CAMARO

70RSZ28CAMARO New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    1970 RSZ 28 Camaro stock LT1 with headers and exhaust the car is stalling when I come to a turning stop like at a turn around on a parkway it doesn’t happen if I come to a normal stop say at a stop sign I already checked for vacuum leaks And couldn’t find any I’m thinking maybe choke, mixture or float setting any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    Thats because your power steering is robbing power from the engine when you do that. When's the last time you checked your power steering level? Maybe just need to set your idle up.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Which carburetor? Almost sounds like a float level issue.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    ^+1 I was thinking the same.... Float level.
    Carb ever ben rebuilt?

5. 70RSZ28CAMARO

70RSZ28CAMARO New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Power steering fluid level is good yes the carburetor was rebuilt It’s a 4150 Thanks

6. CorkyE

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Yep, check the float levels. Too low and the carb can starve for fuel on abrupt turns and stops, too high and fuel can slosh out into the venturi and flood it out.

How did you check for vacuum leaks? I like to use an unlit propane torch.

7. 70RSZ28CAMARO

70RSZ28CAMARO New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I used windex and checked for bubbles I will check the float levels today thanks !

8. CorkyE

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    You can use Windex to check for leaks in fittings where positive pressure, like lines from an air compressor is involved. However we're dealing with negative pressure (vacuum) and Windex will not bubble under that condition.

Some guys use starting fluid (ether) to spray around intake and carburetor gaskets, and vacuum lines. If there's a vacuum leak, the engine will speed up.

I don't use ether because I was checking an 81 Chevy I had with the electric carb and somehow I got a fireball. Was an amazing sight. I know propane is flammable also but I've never had problems with it.