Stall converter company suggestions

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by T-FATTY, Mar 8, 2018.

1. T-FATTY

T-FATTY Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Looking for feedback on stall converters, companies etc. My 406/200r4 combo has an unknown 8" converter that flashes about 4200ish rpms. I'd like something like 2800 that flashes 500rpm higher?
    What companies have you used, how happy you were with their product etc. I would prefer one built to my cars hp/tq than a off the shelf part.
    Thanks, Todd
  2. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I have a CircleD in my 4th gen bolt on car. 3200 rpm with just bolt on LS1.
    Believe they are local to Houston Tx area.
    They have off the shelf and will build according to your specs. Give them a call.
    Been happy with mine for about 10 yrs/50k miles. Lots of street use with some track use also.
    You will get alot of opinions here.
  3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tons of great guys out there.
    I use Coan for my custom stuff, and have used TCI, Continental.
    I know Coan has a lot of low power stuff like that, they do more than just racing $4000-5000 stuff.

4. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Frostbite Falls MN
    Maybe give David a call.
    I had a restalled D5 before that was in that range, but sold it, David had a part number for it too, but I can't remember it.
    Is the one you have now a lockup?
  5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    If you can find a reputable builder near you, that would be a good thing. Most shops will allow one restall within the first year of purchase. I've found a good place near Memphis, TN (BTE) but that's a long haul to MA.
  6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    BTE builds a lot of transmissions for the local guys here. Haven't heard any complaints about their work. I'm sure they could build you a converter that would work for you.
  7. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2007
    If you have time send that one back and have it restalled.

Lots out there A-1, Coan, PTC is who many of the Pontiac guys like.

Heard mixed about Circle D. The "old" Circle D changed a Glide convertor to TH350/400 for me years ago. My little 400 HP 400 laid down a lot of the fins. Some of the guys on the truck board like the lock up electronic convertors from them, but one of my local Potnaic buddies who has alot of LS motors he tunes doe snot.
  8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm running a Boss Hog /ACC 10" 4200 Stall converter and like it !!!
  9. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

He has an 8", he's probably losing a ton of efficiency for a car with that HP.
    I've learned over the years, bigger is better.
    At least for what we do.

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, 4200 is too high for a street driven car. I've got a 3500 with a 3.73 gear and it works perfect.