Stainless Trim Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by rcb1970Z28, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rcb1970Z28

rcb1970Z28 Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Highspire, PA
    Any thoughts on cleaning/removing old paint, etc from stainless trim (without scratching the hell out of it)? I'm talking about the channels that hold the door weatherstrip seal. Also, looks like there was an original gasket between these channels & the body. Any ideas on where I can get a replacement gasket? Thanks, Rich

2. AKohler883

AKohler883 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Scotchbrite pad.

WELCOME
    from another Pennsylvanian

3. rcb1970Z28

rcb1970Z28 Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Highspire, PA
    Thank you. Scotchbrite worked great...no scratches...and polishing up nice.

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    I had a set of badly scratched drip mouldings and sent them to a guy on this forum: 79CamaroMan. He removed all the scratches and they looked brand new. If you aren't happy when you are done, send him a PM for an estimate. He does great work...

For the replacement gasket I used some waterproof foam stripping that they sell at autobody supply shops. Can't recall the name of it but it is about 1/32 inch thick and an inch wide and has adhesive on one side...stick it on the channel and screw it back onto the car. Works great. Call your local auto body supplier...they should be able to hook you up with something similar.

WELCOME
    from another Pennsylvanian x2!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  5. rcb1970Z28

rcb1970Z28 Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Highspire, PA
    Hey, thanks for the advice. The 1/32" thick stripping you mention sounds right...just have to find it now. Stick it to the channel, and screw it on. I'm thinking I don't want to use (or need) any adhesive when I screw it on.

6. LiquideGuy

LiquideGuy Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada

What color of scotchbrite pad? red,grey or white.

7. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I found a product called NOXON 7 that works wonders with a little elbow grease. And leaves a very nice shine.

Mike