Stainless steel headers?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by CorkyE, Dec 22, 2017.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Any advantage to stainless headers over ceramic coated steel headers? I'm looking at;
    1st - heat control
    2nd - durability.

I don't know much about stainless but if coated headers are the choice, it will be Hedman 65104, coated locally.

2. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    Stainless will discolor quickly. Go coated.

3. Billy 30548

Billy 30548 Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I have stainless steel headers that are coated custom made will not hang below frame rail no issue with dragging them

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Coatings often come off, stainless doesn't. i added the same question when i got mine. Nick at ARH told me no need, stainless doesn't hold heat like steel. they do cool off fast.

Good stainless looks good with a little color imo. I guess unless your building a show car.

Mine really haven't discolored much. at least 10,000 miles on them, probably more. they are also not polished because I hate shiny stuff lol.

20171222_112201.jpg

That's right now since my motor is out

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree with Bonzo. Stainless is durable, ceramic falls off with age. I would much prefer discolored stainless over rusty steel after the ceramic fell off.
    headers.jpg

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Stainless is the way to go. Rock chips will hit the headers and will rust....Stainless will not.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    It depends on the quality of the cerma*chrome. I have mine done in my area.They do a lot of work for Boeing aircraft/ And have have thousands of miles and years on mine. In fact my Camaro is supercharged in the 15 LBS plus range. And never had any problem.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Thanks guys, I'm more of a functionality over fineness type person. I've always ran just plain headers, stainless is looking good for what I want. I don't put a lot of miles on the Camaro, and the older I get, the less I like crawling around under it.

9. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    Since I use to be in the high temp coating business I'll give my $.02.
    A high quality, properly applied, and cured coating will adhere just fine to stainless, it also will most certainly not fall off either like the picture Gary likes to post every time this subject comes up. Those headers in Gary's pic were either not properly prepped or cured. We subjected our coating to 6,000 hour salt spray tests, impact test, bend tests...etc the coating never "fell off". A proper coating application hermetically seals the metal from moisture.