Spray foam insulation

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by CamaroDoc, Nov 3, 2013.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Does anyone on here actually do the spray foam insulation?

2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I'm interested in a response here as well - my house is a modular sitting on a 13 block, above ground first story - I've often thought about getting the block internally foamed

3. 1981blackZ28

1981blackZ28 Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    When I remodeled my kitchen this past year I spray foamed the ceiling and walls with kits I bought online. Pretty easy to do and made a noticeable differance in both room temp and soundproofing. Before doing this I had about 2" of blown attic insulation and nothing in my walls. Now I have 4" of R7 foam in the ceiling and 3" in the walls. I would love to do my whole house but it can get pretty pricey.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    What a difference in insulation based on where you live...

I have R19 in the walls and R38 in the ceiling (not foam) in both my home and my shop. This is considered "normal" up here.

5. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    Must be older house.Here in north Georgia we require r13 in exterior walls,r19 in floors such as crawl spaces and r30 in attics/roofs.

6. 1981blackZ28

1981blackZ28 Veteran Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    It was built in 1969. Before I bought the house I looked in the attic. The blown in looked to be about even with the tops of the joists so I figured I had 6 or 8 inches. Didnt realize that the roof was trussed and the ceiling joists were only 2x4s. Also the blown in tapers off the farther you get from the attic access hole and its had 44 years to settle.
    At least the walls had a vapor barrier....none in the ceiling.

7. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    My parent's house was built in 1953 with no insulation at all. A few years ago they got fiber fill blown in the walls and attic. The contractor filled the attic to an estimated R30 and the walls to estimated R20. My dad went around the house and replaced evey window with basic contractor-grade double pane vinyl units. Made a HUGE difference in sound, comfort and energy efficiency. Definetly worth the invesment as its much less expensive and invasive than ripping out walls and rolling in fiberflass.

8. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Never hurts to call up some insulation contractors and discuss your options. May even qualify for a Federal or State tax incentive

9. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    I have nothing at all... My house was built around 1908 or so and they never heard of insulation.... My exterior walls are masonry about a foot thick. The roof has 2x6 rafters and I'd like to foam the bottom side of that. It looks like the DIY kits would run me about $2500. I need to find an insulation guy that will swap for Camaro parts...lol.

10. 79supergasdriver

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Got anything for a 400? Tulsa isn't too far away from Wichita, if you need a hand...