Split bumper or full

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by jij116, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Rickyb1968

Rickyb1968 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2018
    I just purchased a 1971 Z28 project car that has the full bumper so not an RS package. I for one like the RS package and wish the car I purchased had it. I am not going to change the nose to an RS package car look. Like most people have posted its all about your personal preference. The RS package could have been purchased on any Camaro at that time for a little more money.

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

To my dear nasty Z28 friends who enjoy their non R/S "Split Bumper"
    Camaros you should at least THIMK about installing the 70/71 Grill
    which looks much better than the 72-73..........IMHO

HPIM1102.jpg IMG_0320.JPG

Camarolina and muscl car like this.
  3. Camarolina

Camarolina Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Unionville, NC
    Heck ya! I concur. I'm a full bumper fan too. I also like the small hole 70-71 grille over the 72-73 egg crate grille.
    I think a real RS looks good as well but really do not like a standard front end with split bumpers.
    To me the full bumper 70-73's look meaner and ready for business leading with that chrome point and the fangs. Its like grille armor.
    My 1972 with a small hole grille.

my '72.JPG

CamarosRus likes this.
  4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I have an rs ,70. But realy like the split bumpers on a std, front camaros better . The RS look so out of place with the lights above the bumpers ,and the banna lits on std. look so good, just goes better with the split bumpers than the RS,,, but i like them all, I agree the 70-71 grill.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Whats funny is that with the full bumper, the grill looks sized right. When you take the full bumper off and put the splits on, the grill looks way too big. I always kind of wondered, but have never seen, someone adapt a full bumper to a true RS front end. The bumper would probably look strange extending out in front far enough to span the extended grill, but it would probably make the grill area look smaller.

Its probably due to the grill being recessed on an RS front end and not recessed on a standard front end. Maybe putting the splits on a standard front end and recessing the standard grill back in the opening by a few inches would make it look better and more like the RS front end. That wouldn't be too hard to do, I wouldn't think.