Speedometer cable leak

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 7.62fmj, Oct 21, 2017.

1. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    [​IMG]
    What is this thing between my speedo cable and transmission and how do I get it to stop dripping?

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I believe they call it a bulit (M/T) It has an O-ring on the outside. I had to replace mine because of leaks. The O-ring shrunk over the years and wouldn't seal. What a mess.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Have to sign in to see picture, but there is also a very small seal inside the bullet that runs on the speedo gear shank.

4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    I recently bought the O ring and the seal at the Dealer, are you referring to the little gear box to correct the Spedo? Spec on here in Detroit may have those. They carry the diff color gears.

5. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    image.jpeg
    Here's the Numbers and both seals, the O rings come In a 5 pack. I have 2 extra. 3$ ea if anyone needs one. The black seal is sold separately

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  6. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    The piece that's leaking doesn't have the external o-ring. It's more of a bone shape, and it's a couple inches off the trans. The bullet is the conical piece that holds the gear in, right? Screwed right into the side of the trans? Is this some kind of adapter or something?

I don't know much about transmissions, but I haven't been able to find a Speedo bullet that looks like in the pic.