specific 1979 z28 emblems and trim questions

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by alanJ, May 24, 2017.

1. John Mangan

John Mangan New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Eagan, MN

Attached Files:

2. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    I don't think that's the case for all. This is mine. Relatively low mileage even though it has a lot of go fast goodies on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Look Here --> http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro79.html#79-z28

The window trim was painted black (over bright anodized aluminum)... A couple of bugs and a power wash usually caused it begin to flake off.
    It wasn't uncommon at all for someone to have stripped the black leaving the bright coated trim on these late 2nd gen Z28s.

Powder coating it satin black looks very close to the original Z28 color but it's much more permanent than the factory paint.

4. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    That makes sense. We've had it since 93, but before then who knows. The only way I'd put it back to black is if I did the window channels too. It just looks odd having blacked out trim front and rear, but not sides.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I thought the black trim with shiny drip rails looked odd too... So I did all the trim in black.

upload_2017-11-9_8-46-13.png

6. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    That does look good. I don't know if it would on mine or not. It probably would be nice black on black. I think the chrome trim kind of breaks things up a little though.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I bought my 79 Z-28 new, the window trim is black. As Terry said, I stripped and repainted it after about 3 years because paint was peeling off.

8. Cosnerpharmd

Cosnerpharmd New Member

Nov 10, 2017
    I am in the process of redoing a 1979 Z28. I am in need of only 2 stripes to finish. The hood stripe and the rear center trunk stripe. The stripes are the dark gold over light gold. Does anyone know of a place to purchase the stripes individually? Everywhere I have checked I have to buy the whole kit, which is 13 pieces. I only need 3, 2 on hold (inner and outer) and 1 on rear center trunk. Thank you all for any help possible.

9. ipud

ipud Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I recall going through a lot of this same discussion years ago, wondering the same about my 1979. I knew immediately from the original owner the trim was originally black which wore off into a faded old chrome look.

As far as the grill emblem, good luck. I scored my exact emblem on ebay about 6 years ago after looking for about 2 years. Total cost with shipping was like $90. I too battled with mixed responses to find the exact answer. It didn't help that the prior owner badged everything with 78 emblems.