specific 1979 z28 emblems and trim questions

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by alanJ, May 24, 2017.

1. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    yes im aware of the chrome pieces that blended into the tops of the fenders..... not sure if ive ever seen the chrome moldings on the doors like you mention that go with the hood chrome. Interesting...thank you for the info on that. So your saying the emblem is different for the back vs the front......that sucks...a guy could just buy two and use them both if he needed them.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The front and rear are different.
    The rear one is basically flat while the one for the grill is bent to match the grill contour at the center.

3. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    i understand....thank you for the info. im pretty excited to get this car....I love the color...i looked at the production numbers and the color wasnt super rare...but yet I dont or havent seen very many. Just putting the finishing touches on it. thanks

4. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    Occasionally you will see someone selling a NOS grill emblem on Ebay but they usually go between $200-$300.

5. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    lol i dont want one that bad

6. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    As mentioned previously, only black / chrome badges on front grille and gas door. Chrome trim on the hood, fender tops and upper doors were part of the Z21 Style Trim option and could be ordered on a Z28.

John

7. yes, these original black/silver emblems are almost impossible to get.

So maybe get as creative as I got.
    http://nastyz28.com/threads/1979-berlinetta-z28-dress-from-germany.190644/page-15#post-3492145

Remember that 78 / 79 / 80 emblems AND grills are different so work will be requiered.
    Gas doors are different too, depending on model. I got lucky and found a NOS emblem fitting my 80's front emblem, and being for a Berlinetta.
    Looks sharp with the new black door, side pieces and Berlinetta lenses

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. alanJ

alanJ New Member

May 2, 2017
    btw i forgot to mention....anyone have an idea what the code is that is covered up by the screw in the upper left hand side of the pictured cowl tag? as far as the chrome trim hood option , my car does have a thin chrome strip on top of the doors....not sure if thats standard or the option you guys are speaking of....z51? i would think that code would be on my cowl tag ..... thanks everyone for the replies......great site to find. Have a safe and happy memorial day weekend.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  9. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada

10. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    The Z21 style trim had the thicker chrome trim on the doors. Cars without the option had a thin chrome trim on the outer window sweep.

John